Quick pool question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would agree with Gus but I must say that it is odd that a hydromassage tub requires a separate circuit but a swimming pool does not. Also since article 210.23(A)(2) seems to be complied with then I see no reason the op cannot do what he proposes. Of course one still must comply with all the other req. of art 680 that apply

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I would say no it can't. At least one receptacle is required on a "general-purpose branch circuit"

The motor, IMO, falls under utilization equipment, and thus would require a separate circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would say no it can't. At least one receptacle is required on a "general-purpose branch circuit"

The motor, IMO, falls under utilization equipment, and thus would require a separate circuit.
I don't understand your answer. Please give an article number that supports any of what you stated

GerryB

Thanks for the answers. I didn't see anything about a separate circuit. Another pool question seems to be burial depth. This HO had a brochure from an EC that said you needed a trench 4" wide and 18" deep for the pvc. It went on to state uf cable was unacceptable. Well you may have to go 18" for pvc, but I use ridgid conduit and then you only have to go 6" deep. Also if your GFI was at the panel wouldn't you only have to go 12" with pvc? This Building Dept has a Mike Holt handout for pools. It states 6" for metal raceways and 18" for nonmetallic. Table 300.5 col 4 says 12" (for pvc)with GFI protection(max 20a). I have run into more then one inspector who doesn't seem to get this.

mwm1752

Gerry there may be several circumstances that would require the 18" deep burial that the HO & other EC had talked about. Since you are an EC I would say you're qualified to make the correct assesment. Not unusual for EC'c to disagree on methods, hopefullyyou've both recieved the same info from the HO.

Status
Not open for further replies.