Green handle on Sq D breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
View attachment 12472

I ran across an old Sq D breaker panel and many of the breakers, both single pole and two pole, had green handles. The rest had black.

Noting on the green handle breakers indicate anything special and they didn't feed anything special.

Does anyone know what the green handles are supposed to indicate? The only thing I could find on the Internet was the picture I posted.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
View attachment 12472

I ran across an old Sq D breaker panel and many of the breakers, both single pole and two pole, had green handles. The rest had black.

Noting on the green handle breakers indicate anything special and they didn't feed anything special.

Does anyone know what the green handles are supposed to indicate? The only thing I could find on the Internet was the picture I posted.

Thanks
Is entire handle green or just the end face?

I have seen stores that use breakers daily as switching devices for lights and other items that get turned on daily get field marked to indicate which breakers are to be turned on/off but never seen one factory colored like that.

What is amp setting of the breaker - green is a color standard for 30 amps in some circumstances - but again never seen this in the QO line, and there is a lot of QO old and new in this region being used.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The green handle was used to indicate a breaker with a "higher" AIC rating. The green color coding was dropped in the early 70's.

edited to remove incorrect value, see new post.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Is entire handle green or just the end face?

I have seen stores that use breakers daily as switching devices for lights and other items that get turned on daily get field marked to indicate which breakers are to be turned on/off but never seen one factory colored like that.

What is amp setting of the breaker - green is a color standard for 30 amps in some circumstances - but again never seen this in the QO line, and there is a lot of QO old and new in this region being used.

The entire handle is green. I have a 15A single pole and a 40A double, the EC has the rest and there are 20A singles and some other doubles.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
They are labeled "Interrupting Rating Max R.M.S. Amps 10,000 SYM."
You are correct - it meant 10kAIC, back when the breakers were standard at 5K. They stopped using this color in 1975.

So much for my memory, but at least I knew it was a higher AIC.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You are correct - it meant 10kAIC, back when the breakers were standard at 5K. They stopped using this color in 1975.

So much for my memory, but at least I knew it was a higher AIC.
This is correct. And also what changed at that time was that the 5kAIC version went away, that's when 10kAIC became the "standard", so there was no need for the different colored handles.

I was an apprentice then working for a small contractor. DIY homeowners kept putting their green ground wires into those breakers, so when they turned them on and they instantly tripped with a flash-bang, we would get the call from the wife to come out and take over from the hubby! I distinctly remember one guy looking like a puppy that had been spanked with a rolled up newspaper for peeing on the floor, poor guy...

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
This is correct. And also what changed at that time was that the 5kAIC version went away, that's when 10kAIC became the "standard", so there was no need for the different colored handles.

I was an apprentice then working for a small contractor. DIY homeowners kept putting their green ground wires into those breakers, so when they turned them on and they instantly tripped with a flash-bang, we would get the call from the wife to come out and take over from the hubby! I distinctly remember one guy looking like a puppy that had been spanked with a rolled up newspaper for peeing on the floor, poor guy...

Thanks and great story!!

One of the circuits that had a green handled breaker was connected to a pump with a locked rotor and tripped, so it has a nice pretty red indicator below the pretty green handle.

It looks like a Christmas decoration breaker! :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
They stopped using this color in 1975.

The most recent one I saw was in the new weight room in a high school. It was installed in 2012.
Of course, the contractor said everything he installed was new and unused.

kwired

Electron manager
They stopped using this color in 1975.

The most recent one I saw was in the new weight room in a high school. It was installed in 2012.
Of course, the contractor said everything he installed was new and unused.

It could be ~40 years old and never used before.:cool:

I guess the easiest way to distinguish difference between a 10 kA breaker and a 22kA breaker today is to look at the billing papers.:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Status
Not open for further replies.