Service Drop Neutral Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

srasz2000

How does the utility test the neutral connection (Open or resistive connection) between the meter and the transformer? I need to do this on a regular basis. I could design my own tester, but would much rather purchase one and not reinvent the wheel if a tester is readily available.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The have a box that can place a good load that analyzes the draw. I forget what they call it. Beast or something.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Beast of Burden. Also a high current version called Mega-Beast. Basically a hair dryer type heating/fan unit that loads the service. Four wires...two hot, one neutral, one ground for safety. There are two voltmeters to measure line to neutral voltage under load on each leg. You switch the load (line to neutral) from one phase to the other. If the voltages drop the same for each leg, you have line drop, usually due to a long secondary. If the voltage drops when one leg but not the other, you have a problem on that leg. If the voltage drops on the loaded leg and rises on the opposite leg, you have a neutral problem. Sounds confusing, but simple and easy to use. Beast loads at 30A. Mega-Beast loads at up to 80A. Pretty spendy, though. Probably used ones on Flea-Bay. The utility doesn't usually do resistive testing because that would require a trip to the transformers.

It also can plug into the meter socket, but the utility would probably be unhappy with you pulling their meter.

Last edited:

ceb58

I use a heat gun. Turn off all breakers and install a SP breaker with a pig tail with a female plug. Install it on A phase and turn it on then measure your voltage at the main. If the A phase drops and the B side goes up then you have a problem between the main, meter and/or transformer. POCO doesn't want us pulling meter so if it test bad and there is no disconnect between panel and meter then call POCO to come pull meter to check inside meter base.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I use a heat gun. Turn off all breakers and install a SP breaker with a pig tail with a female plug. Install it on A phase and turn it on then measure your voltage at the main. If the A phase drops and the B side goes up then you have a problem between the main, meter and/or transformer. POCO doesn't want us pulling meter so if it test bad and there is no disconnect between panel and meter then call POCO to come pull meter to check inside meter base.

Not quite....see my post above. If the opposite side goes up, you have a neutral problem. If it stays the same, you have a phase problem. If you measure ahead of the main (scary...no protection!!!! I don't recommend it) and it still happens, call the POCO. DO NOT think I'm suggesting connecting to the line side of the main, but that's the way we at the POCO narrow down the problem. My suggestion is if you need to test ahead of any service OCPD, let the POCO do it. Not trying to "talk down" to you or anyone else, but I've seen VERY impressive damage to a meter base due to a fault ahead of the service disconnect. For a fault to clear, you'd have to blow the transformer primary fuse, and on services where several customers are on one transformer, that fuse can carry a huge amount of current for a while. OK...sermon's over.:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.