Fiberglass Fish Tape Ideal or Greenlee

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My 50 ft Ideal Fiberglass fishtape had the case break. I can get a greenlee or ideal, the 100 ft greenlee is $100+, and you need to get a pulling eye. Any advantage to ideal or greenlee? the 50 ft greenlee has an eye. I use the fiberglass for short runs and I would be hard to push a fiberglass tape more than 50 ft.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never used a fiberglass tape. They certainly are safer but a lot more money. I got a 240' steel tape for $70.00.

In general I like the Greenlee stuff better but I have an ideal steel tape and it is fine.

PetrosA

I'm curious about opinions, too. I'd like to get a decent fiberglass tape at some point, but they are expensive.

For my steel tapes I'm using the orange Kleins. I have two 50' and two 25' tapes. I keep about 10' on one of the small reels to make it more maneuverable in resi work. For longer runs in conduit I usually pull a string through. I grew up using Ideal fishes but drifted away from them. I've used a few Greenlees over the years but I find them too heavy to use comfortably in resi work. None of that experience helps me decide on which fiberglass one to get, though.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm curious about opinions, too. I'd like to get a decent fiberglass tape at some point, but they are expensive.

For my steel tapes I'm using the orange Kleins. I have two 50' and two 25' tapes. I keep about 10' on one of the small reels to make it more maneuverable in resi work. For longer runs in conduit I usually pull a string through. I grew up using Ideal fishes but drifted away from them. I've used a few Greenlees over the years but I find them too heavy to use comfortably in resi work. None of that experience helps me decide on which fiberglass one to get, though.

My 10 -20 footer is not attached to a reel, and has shepherd hook bent on both ends. I find it more convenient for fishing walls then a long tape with one end attached to a reel. Sometimes you have to fish one direction but then need to also pull that same direction - with the long tape on reel that means once you get it fished you need to pull a pull string or other pulling media back just so you can attach cable to make the install. Short tape with hook on each end - once you get it fished you have the option to pull cable from either end and don't need to pull any other pulling media first.

I also have a short section of tape with hook on one end and the other one is just blunt end of tape - comes in handy also when the hook is too big or hook wants to catch on things but does have it's limitations as well.

kwired

Electron manager
I use FG as its lighter, and I most often am pulling thru a conduit with wires in it. Plus I don't have to dry off the tape if it gets wet.
Depending on where you are working it may not be bad idea to dry it off anyway. Wet surface promotes dirt to cling to it and if you don't wipe it you add more grit to the storage reel and dispensing/retrieval components.

I have not used a fiberglass tape in a long time, former employer had one once - but HE lost it presumably when HE forgot to shut the door on the truck body one day;), never was confirmed but seemed most logical, the door was found open when we arrived at a job and that was the only thing we definitely noticed was missing - but I do recall they seem to push better then a steel tape - especially in PVC raceways or in any raceway with existing conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.