Extending Short Neutral Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have what I think is a simple question: I am replacing an existing breaker in the panelboard with a new GFCI/AFCI breaker which of course requires the neutral to be wired to it. The problem is that the existing circuit neutral is too short to reach the breaker so I need to splice the neutral (wire nut) so it can reach the breaker.

My question is, does the code allow this? I looked at 312.8 and my reading of it says that this is allowed.

Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi,

I have what I think is a simple question: I am replacing an existing breaker in the panelboard with a new GFCI/AFCI breaker which of course requires the neutral to be wired to it. The problem is that the existing circuit neutral is too short to reach the breaker so I need to splice the neutral (wire nut) so it can reach the breaker.

My question is, does the code allow this? I looked at 312.8 and my reading of it says that this is allowed.

Thanks

It is allowed. You are correct.

kwired

Electron manager
that's not entirely true, you can't splice a wire passing through a panel you can only splice a wire that terminates in the panel. But that condition shouldn't arise as a wire cant pass through a panel anyway.
You want to clarify that some more? I don't see that being true as a general rule, otherwise maybe some specific condition doesn't allow passing a conductor through a panelboard? Splices are not a problem, they just need be accessible other then direct buried conductors - but those need a splicing method that is intended for direct burial.

iwire

Staff member
you can't splice a wire passing through a panel you can only splice a wire that terminates in the panel.

There is nothing in the NEC that says that. It may be a local rule for you.

a wire cant pass through a panel anyway.

The NEC allows that as well.

Keep in mind that to the NEC a 'Panel' is a 'panelboard' which is covered in article 408 and a it is just the bus bars and breakers without an enclosure.

Panels are installed in cabinets covered in article 312.

The rules for splicing in cabinets are found in 312.8.

Here are a couple of helpful NEC definitions.

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box placed
in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

Cabinet. An enclosure that is designed for either surface
mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame,
mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can
be hung.

kwired

Electron manager
There is nothing in the NEC that says that. It may be a local rule for you.

The NEC allows that as well.

Keep in mind that to the NEC a 'Panel' is a 'panelboard' which is covered in article 408 and a it is just the bus bars and breakers without an enclosure.

Panels are installed in cabinets covered in article 312.

The rules for splicing in cabinets are found in 312.8.

Here are a couple of helpful NEC definitions.
I agree with what you said, and I guess maybe his words were right, you can't splice in a panelboard, but you can splice in the cabinet that contains the panelboard, but am guessing that was not what his intended meaning was.:)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
that's not entirely true, you can't splice a wire passing through a panel you can only splice a wire that terminates in the panel. But that condition shouldn't arise as a wire cant pass through a panel anyway.

If you cut a wire passing through, and then jumper the two wires back together again with a pair of wire nuts, have you not created a couple terminations within the panel?

Oh dear, I've just gone cross-eyed.

kwired

Electron manager
If you cut a wire passing through, and then jumper the two wires back together again with a pair of wire nuts, have you not created a couple terminations within the panel?

Oh dear, I've just gone cross-eyed.
But he says there won't be a wire passing through the panel to possibly cut in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.