What type of Cutler-Hammer is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Please see attached photos, of an older CH panel with little circular pin shaped stabs.

I've been doing this for a few years and have seen some odd panels but this is a new one for me. Unfortunately my guy who visited this site didn't take an extra minute or two to remove the customer's circuit directory that was taped over the manufacturer's label and get a picture. :roll: So I know it's a Cutler Hammer and that's all I know.

Can anyone tell me the history of this product line and what type of breaker works in it? Some of the breakers say 'SWD' on the handle and that looks like a candidate but I'm wondering if they are really all the same. Anything else I should know about this type of panel?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6552.JPG
    IMG_6552.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 4

kwired

Electron manager
To best of my knowledge that is just an older version of the CH series panels.

probably was found to cost less to make them the way they are now instead of with that round tip on the bus, or maybe even was an idea that just didn't work so well. I know I have seen a few like that but all were fairly old installations.

Breakers without SWD on the handle is common in older breakers from the CH line. Not sure what year they started marking them with that, and possibly coincides with SWD requirements being put into code, though not sure when that happened either. CH line just happened to put SWD marking right on the handle, others placed it somewhere else.

norcal

Agreed. This old bus takes standard type CH Cutler Hammer plug-on breakers.

I tried to edit my post but had issues w/ the WiFi so the window for editing closed, it is a 1960's era CH loadcenter, not just a early one. Sad thing it's the last decent line left, all competitive makes have cheaped out.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Thanks for all the replies. So if I'm understanding, the current line of CH breaker made by Eaton will do just fine in this panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.