Shocking roof metal drip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjg281812

I need help. I got shocked by my roof drip edge. Could it be a ground? Could it be coming from my Dish sattelite or internet dish sattelite? I'm attaching pics. My tester shows current going half way down to the chain that I'm re-hooking (replacing a spring) a sail shade. I've had the eye bolt in for a couple years. I know it's not that going through any wires. I was on a metal ladder if that is signifficant for troubleshooting. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 28.jpg
    FullSizeRender 28.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender 26.jpg
    FullSizeRender 26.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender 27.jpg
    FullSizeRender 27.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0

John120/240

We have been at several houses where the siding/soffit/gutter installers manage to energize the s/s/g.

Start with Dave's suggestion then call for help.

Had a house where the metal lath that stucco is laid over, the lath was hot.

Ditto on Tom's suggestion to follow Dave's advice. Contact a qualified electrician.

kwired

Electron manager
You can't have current on the chain - there is no complete circuit there. You can have voltage between the chain and other objects including earth.

So assuming you meant you had voltage, what kind of voltage did you read? Was it AC, DC, and at what level?

DC could be related to the satellite receivers, AC probably means there is a fault in the premises power wiring someplace. Could be the fault is actually on other side of house but has conductivity through gutters, drip edge, etc to where you discovered it.

rjg281812

OK, I turned off main. Checked it and no signal where it was shocking me. I then turned main back on and had my wife turn on and off breakers to see if any were the culprit. I narrowed it down to the breaker that goes to my computer room/office. I then checked the neutrals to see if any were loose. They seem fine. What do think the problem is? This is the same room that my satellite runs to. (I'm just saying in case that was relevant). I appreciate all y'all's input. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(I have relocated the last post)

To the OP:
Any advice given beyond this point could promote amplifying an unsafe condition.
As was suggested in an earlier thread, it's time for a professional.

[FONT=&quot]I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.