A funny and sad story

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, wonders never cease ! The woman e-mailed me this morning and said a POCO rep paid her a visit and said the meter can stay inside the garage but would be better outside. Not sure what that end result of this is going to be. Now she plans to go to the town and ask them if they have any special requirements. Lord only knows what they'll tell her. I'm betting that by the time she's ready to upgrade the service whatever I told her will end up making me look like the south end of a north bound horse.:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Not that she possibly couldn't live for another 20-25 years, but even if she does, how much of that time will be in this home?

If I were her I'd find other insurance or drop the insurance. Let next owner worry about issues with the house. Maybe even time to consider selling it, turning it over to your kids or something - then it is their problem.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Not that she possibly couldn't live for another 20-25 years, but even if she does, how much of that time will be in this home?

If I were her I'd find other insurance or drop the insurance. Let next owner worry about issues with the house. Maybe even time to consider selling it, turning it over to your kids or something - then it is their problem.
The older you get the less change you want in your life.

We moved my MIL to assisted living last year. It wasn't until then we realized just how much routine and consistancy played into her life. A house key on a different key ring was "not the house key".

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Well, wonders never cease ! The woman e-mailed me this morning and said a POCO rep paid her a visit and said the meter can stay inside the garage but would be better outside. Not sure what that end result of this is going to be. Now she plans to go to the town and ask them if they have any special requirements. Lord only knows what they'll tell her. I'm betting that by the time she's ready to upgrade the service whatever I told her will end up making me look like the south end of a north bound horse.:happyyes:

I can relate :) I've worked with a number of different POCOs and some wanted me to enforce their rules as part of my inspection. I didn't take me long to get burnt as they were forever making exceptions to their rules.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd be willing to bet the largest draw appliance might be a hair dryer. Her dishwasher is unplugged and she gas a gas dryer. She doesn't have central air. How much power can she possibly need ?

The problem with that thought is that most of the home inspectors in my area have $6K computer programs and equally expensive cameras and they don't overlook anything. So, she'll have to pay for it now or later or her kids will have to either pay for it or make concessions on the sale if she passes away.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd be willing to bet the largest draw appliance might be a hair dryer. Her dishwasher is unplugged and she gas a gas dryer. She doesn't have central air. How much power can she possibly need ?

The problem with that thought is that most of the home inspectors in my area have $6K computer programs and equally expensive cameras and they don't overlook anything. So, she'll have to pay for it now or later or her kids will have to either pay for it or make concessions on the sale if she passes away.
Correct, now or later. She may not be able to afford it, her kids just get a little less inheritance value. She did give birth to them and raise them, isn't that worth anything to kids (even the ones that are now "grown up" these days? If they were decent kids and can afford it, maybe they help mom pay for it now:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.