Color for a visual inspection feature, used in industrial construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppsc

New User
Hello, All,

Is there a preferred (or industry standard) color used as a visual inspection aid of electrical devices after they are installed? Think of this as the equivalent of a "sealed for your protection" commonly used on consumer products.

I am working a new product development that includes a visual aid for inspectors to "see" that the installation has been completed. I think it would help if this feature were a different and highly visible color, but not sure what color is appropriate.

I have seen "seasonal" and monthly color coding schemes, but the idea is that the electrician installs the product and uses this feature to provide a visual indicator to the inspector that the installation was completed (per manufacturer's recommendations).

Any reference to standards, code or common practices is appreciated, as well as qualified opinions.

Thank you, in advance for your replies.

Paul

Tony S

My ex-wife hated me for this. I stole her nail polish.

Taking a bottle of some expensive varnish got me a severe telling off (that?s the polite version).

There is an international colour code for months. I?m sorry I can?t remember if it?s a BS or En number.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hello, All,

Is there a preferred (or industry standard) color used as a visual inspection aid of electrical devices after they are installed? Think of this as the equivalent of a "sealed for your protection" commonly used on consumer products.

I am working a new product development that includes a visual aid for inspectors to "see" that the installation has been completed. I think it would help if this feature were a different and highly visible color, but not sure what color is appropriate.

I have seen "seasonal" and monthly color coding schemes, but the idea is that the electrician installs the product and uses this feature to provide a visual indicator to the inspector that the installation was completed (per manufacturer's recommendations).

Any reference to standards, code or common practices is appreciated, as well as qualified opinions.

Thank you, in advance for your replies.

Paul
The code does not require any thing like that, so I don't see anyone doing that unless the contract documents require it. About the only thing I have seen done like that is a mark on a bolt or connection that has been torqued. Often done with a marker or, as Tony suggested, nail polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.