Pico controlling Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Can I install a 200 amp general purpose contactor between the load lugs of meterbase and main breaker per NEC? This NC contactor would be controlled via a pico wireless transmitter/receiver which would be connected to coils of contactor so that when owner drives by his rental he can shut down house from the street.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can I install a 200 amp general purpose contactor between the load lugs of meterbase and main breaker per NEC? This NC contactor would be controlled via a pico wireless transmitter/receiver which would be connected to coils of contactor so that when owner drives by his rental he can shut down house from the street.

I don't think that would be a legal service. I don't see how another device would be allowed between the meter and the disconnecting means.

I also think it is unlikely to be legal, in the sense that it is unlawful to actually use it. Most places you are prohibited from turning the power off to a rented facility, even if the guy did not pay.

It becomes even more of an issue if the renter is directly paying the electric bill.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that the contactor would have to be rated as suitable for use as service equipment. Any components that are connected to the incoming service before any overcurrent protection must be suitably rugged and with a suitable current carrying capacity.
Putting a breaker before the contactor and making the main breaker in the current panel redundant should allow a compliant installation IF you can access the wiring between the meter and the existing main and insert a new panel.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I think that the contactor would have to be rated as suitable for use as service equipment. Any components that are connected to the incoming service before any overcurrent protection must be suitably rugged and with a suitable current carrying capacity.
Putting a breaker before the contactor and making the main breaker in the current panel redundant should allow a compliant installation IF you can access the wiring between the meter and the existing main and insert a new panel.

yep. putting a mag ahead of the main is daft.

and this entire thing is far enough out in left field to make me wonder at
it's legitimacy.

frankft2000

What about a meter disconnect, then contractor, then main breaker panel? Then the contactor would not have to be service rated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Power-operable service disconnecting means are not all that rare in industrial... but unheard of in residential. Perhaps one way to be in compliance as far as the service disconnecting means is concerned is to use a SUSE ATS, and reconfigure the transfer function circuit to operate via remote control.

AFAIK, this would be illegal for the owner to do if there are tenants... even if they have been evicted but not yet vacated the property. The rental would have to be legally vacant.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not sure how widespread the law is, but here, landlords cannot turn off power, gas, water, sewer, trash collection, or even phone / TV cable (if already in place). Even the PoCos and other service providers have to go through hoops now to disconnect their services to deadbeats. I heard it has to do with life-safety. My neighbor owns a rental property out in the sticks and squatters came into it why he was advertising for new tenants. He had not cut off the electricity and gas in the winter because he didn't want the pipes to freeze. Now he can't, he has to wait for THEM to do it, and there are proscribed notifications and wait times involved. He discovered the squatters in March, this is June, they still have free power, heat and water. In fact the water company now is coming after my neighbor under the mandatory 25% reduction issue, they don't seem to care that he doesn't want them to use ANY water. He was actually hoping that the water company shuts them down for using too much, but their only actual weapon is fines, which are being assessed to HIM, not the squatters. It's a freaking mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.