Ok for outlet boxes to be too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Went to look at a job. Residential turning a two family into a one family.
Parts are exposed. Some closed. They would like to keep as much of existing to cut on cost. I'm pretty sure the existing boxes are going to be to small. Single gang metals. Receptacle placement is shy Rather than play games trying to re feed this and that and make things work I would rather just rewire the entire place
If by chance they are persistent on reusing existing wire and boxes has anyone had experience bringing a home "up to code" for the most part but having a few things "not up to code"?

Thank you for thoughts and advice

ritelec

As I'm thinking here too. That neutral at switch locations. Is it permissibly to bring neutrals to most switches but not others ?

I guess there's a rehab code but if the whole house is being addressed I'm feeling leone old some new may not fly.

Maybe a call to an inspector ?

Speaking of switches. If there is a disposal and there is a switch for that disposal at the countertop ( or even underneath in the sink cabinet. Is that switch also required to have a neutral at its location

Not at a book. I'll google thanks

John120/240

Went to look at a job. Residential turning a two family into a one family.
Parts are exposed. Some closed. They would like to keep as much of existing to cut on cost. I'm pretty sure the existing boxes are going to be to small. Single gang metals. Receptacle placement is shy Rather than play games trying to re feed this and that and make things work I would rather just rewire the entire place
If by chance they are persistent on reusing existing wire and boxes has anyone had experience bringing a home "up to code" for the most part but having a few things "not up to code"?

Thank you for thoughts and advice

How do you wire a home "up to code" but have a few things "not up to code" ???? Rip out the too small metal receptacles boxes & install new boxes. (I prefer Allied Molding fiberglass boxes). For receptacle placement add one in the middle to meet code. I would add GFCI's & Smoke Detectors where required.

As far as cost to your customer: It cost what it cost to have a Code minimum installation. You can't pay Your rent, eat, gas in the car if you work for free. Don't end up paying the customer for the privilege of working for them.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can often leave existing wiring and devices in place if you are not touching that part of the wiring.
I would have some problems with pulling new wire but leaving the old boxes in place that are not really compatible with new devices and added wires in the box.

ritelec

Your right

Thank you.

The past couple of years biding certain projects ( houses pools Etc.) instead of battling with what the owner could afford and how I could turn a blind eye to this or that., I've been quoting the job for what it would take for me to do it right. If they go for it they do. If not they don't.

I forgot that.

Thanks again.

switching I saw lighting references for neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.