mc cable with stranded conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackman435

Have been in this business a long time, but just recently ran into some Electrician's from Detroit who told me they only use stranded MC cable. New one on me. What are it's applications?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's mostly a preference thing however, 410.56(E) could be an example of a specific use.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Pretty much anyplace you would use solid MC.

That said, having used solid for many years I did not like stranded MC the few times I tried it.

I am used to be able to push MC up over things and you just can not do that at all with the stranded MC, its like trying to push a rope up over a beam.

Also I find making up 15 and 20 amp devices easier with solid.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have never seen stranded MC cable. Would love to use them. Especially NM cable in stranded 14-10 awg.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I seldom if ever use mc but when I do it's stranded all the way. I'd throw a roll of solid mc in the scrap barrel before using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
We use stranded MC when serving drops to hung fixtures. Some inspectors require it in that application because of the movement.

That's a new one. Your inspectors are funny.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've used stranded MC a few times and loved it, especially in #10 AWG. It's much easier to pull especially a 10/3 or 10/4 cable.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's beyond stupid. I think I'll use solid whips for the next lights just because

Well just be transparent and make sure your inspector is aware of the requirement, then if he lets you slide let us know.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Solid conductor works best when terminating on screw terminal devices as well as push-in connectors (like Wago Wall nuts).

Stranded conductors likely pull easier (even when in a cable assembly) then solid conductors. I have trended toward mostly using pressure plate termination type switches and receptacles and stranded is maybe just a little faster to terminate and push the device in, but sort of doesn't make too much difference otherwise but I also have started using Wago Wall nuts more often then twist on wire connectors and though they do accept stranded conductors (not fine stranded conductors) they sometimes don't push in all that well and are a PITA when that happens. 14 AWG is worse then 12 AWG. I hate 10 stranded for anything except when it must terminate under a screw head, but even then we are often talking an EGC terminating under a screw and the other conductors under a clamping terminal - I'd still rather have the stranded conductors and crimp some fork terminal on the EGC if it makes it easier to terminate.

Pizza

Stranded MC fishes easier. I always like to have a roll of both.
Stranded is also better for changing over into wire mold applications.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I love stranded MC. I don't use it all the time because it is special order. If enough other people would catch on to how nice it is it wouldn't have to be special order and I would use it all the time. I may start pointing out 410.56(E) to my inspectors to get the ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.