replacing romex with mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasgur

New User
Hi All first post just joined. I live in an old farmhouse built in 1920 Its in the country and my wiring was done 20 years ago in a whole house remodel. I recently went into the attic area and saw many cases of rodents had chewed through wires and many are bare copper showing. I wanted to replace all with an mx cable. I want to start with the duplexes. My question is that I really don't want to have to cut the walls up. Is there a metal box that can install in the existing hole and ears be covered up with the new plate (or reuse the old? the house has the old shiplap siding over the 2x4 construction so this will be an "old work" scenario. Also, I was going to mount my junction boxes on the attic walls for future access. Is it proper to run 1 cable down the wall from a junction box instead of two wires {1 down and one up to daisy chain)? Also the mx is to keep rodents from doing this again. I wish I could keep them out but it isn't practical

Thanks,

Jeff

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.