12-2-2 and 14-2-2 NM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
What situations would a person use 12-2-2 and 14-2-2 NM? I'm sure it comes in handy but it's price is about 3 times the cost of 12-2 and 14-3..... ?

PetrosA

I used some recently for feeding two-circuit track which will have LED heads on them to avoid crosstalk between the circuits (shared neutral). Other than that, it's useful for complying with the latest code requirements to have a neutral at every switch when you're doing three/four-way setups and aren't going to feed the lights from the last box.

stickboy1375

it gives you two AFCI, or GFCI circuits within one cable...

xx-2-2 contains Blk, Wht, & Red, Wht with red tracer.
I've used this for AFCI home run for two bedrooms, etc...

xx-4 contains Blk, Red, Blu, Wht.....
I've used this cable with a lot of AC units, gives me 240v circuit for the AC unit, and a 120v circuit for a GFCI receptacle at the disconnect.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
What situations would a person use 12-2-2 and 14-2-2 NM? I'm sure it comes in handy but it's price is about 3 times the cost of 12-2 and 14-3..... ?
I haven't used any or ever priced any. But if it is 3 times the cost of using two - two wire cables - it would need to be a situation that could save some labor or I will not be using it. I may even prefer a raceway method in some instances. It will have less copper then two 2 wire (with ground) cables because you will only have one equipment grounding conductor, but price is likely high simply because it is not as fast of a moving item as two and three conductor cables.

Maybe can find a better price at a supplier that normally handles a higher volume of said product?

John120/240

All valuable ideas so far. In another thread I described a 3 way switch situation where it comes in handy. In residential kitchens, a 12-2-2 Romex to the microwave with the extra circuit used for a SABC. Anytime that you can make one home run & get two circuits=less labor. Do your own cost analysis & see where you wind up. I like 14-2-2 &
12-2-2

Occupation
Inspector
All valuable ideas so far. In another thread I described a 3 way switch situation where it comes in handy. In residential kitchens, a 12-2-2 Romex to the microwave with the extra circuit used for a SABC. Anytime that you can make one home run & get two circuits=less labor. Do your own cost analysis & see where you wind up. I like 14-2-2 &
12-2-2

Ditto - I've used it xx-2-2 quite a bit and love it.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
12-2-2

Usually you can pull more than one home run at a time. I would guess three home runs at a time is typical unless you have a really great setup with multiple reelers.

So if your average kitchen needs 6 circuits, you can pull them all at once. One 12-2-2 for the sabc, one 12-2-2 for the microwave and dishwasher/disposal circuit, and one 14-2-2 for all the lighting.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Usually you can pull more than one home run at a time. I would guess three home runs at a time is typical unless you have a really great setup with multiple reelers.

So if your average kitchen needs 6 circuits, you can pull them all at once. One 12-2-2 for the sabc, one 12-2-2 for the microwave and dishwasher/disposal circuit, and one 14-2-2 for all the lighting.
Best use for the stuff no doubt AND the added benefit of fewer EGC's to have to make up in the panel or stuff in j boxes.

Back when I started we uses to pull 12-3s and 14-3s for home runs and got the same result. Current codes and irrational fears of MWBC's have made that practice less appealing, so now we use more copper along with more dreaded PVC insulation to do the same work. Not going to save mother earth at this rate. Oh well.

edlee

All of the above uses. I find it to be very handy. It's like when you buy a pricy specialty tool you think you won't use much but then once you have it you find yourself using it for more things than you had imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.