Wye or delta wound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to make up a nine lead 240 / 480 volt motor . Nothing on the name plate as far as wiring diagram or wye / delta configuration. The circuit voltage is 480 so it doesn't matter if it's wye or delta so I wired it to the high voltage connection in an uglies book. My question is if circuit voltage was 240 then I would need to know if it was wye or delta because according to uglies the terminations are different. I rang 7,8 and 9 so I assumed it was wye wound due to continuity. When I switched meter to ohms I only got a reading of .1 ohms . This seemed really low. Does anyone have any input on this ?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You are correct about the make up of the leads. It makes no difference if the motor is wound star or delta for high voltage, but is important to know which for low voltage.

You won't get much of an ohm reading through the windings with your meter because their is much resistance in them. Until the magnetic flux starts gyrating and the motor starts spinning you basically have a short circuit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You are correct about the make up of the leads. It makes no difference if the motor is wound star or delta for high voltage, but is important to know which for low voltage.
I wouldn't go that far. I would rather say it is important to know the nominal winding voltage, and both internal and external winding connections. Being "wound" delta or wye is a consequence of the preceding, though an intended consequence can influence the causal parameters. For example, one end of three windings connected internally. :D

You won't get much of an ohm reading through the windings with your meter because their isn't much resistance in them. Until the magnetic flux starts gyrating and the motor starts spinning you basically have a short circuit.
FIFY ;)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I wouldn't go that far. I would rather say it is important to know the nominal winding voltage, and both internal and external winding connections. Being "wound" delta or wye is a consequence of the preceding, though an intended consequence can influence the causal parameters. For example, one end of three windings connected internally. :D
Picture my head right here in this position in relation to this part of your post.

Yes, you did. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.