Disconnect Switch Mounting Positon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuthmann

Typically industrial panel disconnect switches are mounted near the top of the enclosure. The Line feeds the fuses from the top and the Load is connected to the bottom.

I have a rotary shaft operated, fused disconnect switch that I want rotate 180 degrees so that the Line feeds in from the bottom and the Load connects to the top. The disconnect switch will be mounted near the bottom of the panel so it will have a bottom feed to the enclosure.

I know this isn't the conventional mounting arrangement but are there any rules that say you can't mount the disconnect switch in this manner?

ron

If the switch says line and load, as long as you feed it that way, the orientation of the switch shouldn't be important. Just check the instructions to be sure the manufacturer doesn't have a problem with it.

Since the handle is not up and down, which would be dictated by code to be that up is on, then you can do it any other way.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't get it. Maybe I'm not understanding the part about it being rotary shaft operated.

If the switch is stationary, just mount the switch the normal way and bring the line wires to the top inside the switch, and the load wires to the bottom.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Typically industrial panel disconnect switches are mounted near the top of the enclosure. The Line feeds the fuses from the top and the Load is connected to the bottom.

I have a rotary shaft operated, fused disconnect switch that I want rotate 180 degrees so that the Line feeds in from the bottom and the Load connects to the top. The disconnect switch will be mounted near the bottom of the panel so it will have a bottom feed to the enclosure.

I know this isn't the conventional mounting arrangement but are there any rules that say you can't mount the disconnect switch in this manner?

I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure there is a code section that says down has to be off.

Wattman

I understand what the OP is wanting to do but I don't think the handle operation, orientation will be correct!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Here's something.

404.6 Position and Connection of Switches
(A) Single-Throw Knife Switches. Single-throw knife
switches shall be placed so that gravity will not tend to close
them. Single-throw knife switches, approved for use in the
inverted position, shall be provided with an integral mechan-
ical means that ensures that the blades remain in the open
position when so set.

iwire

Staff member
I don't get it. Maybe I'm not understanding the part about it being rotary shaft operated.

If the switch is stationary, just mount the switch the normal way and bring the line wires to the top inside the switch, and the load wires to the bottom.

If it would make my job easier or the cabinet neater I would not hesitate to flip the switch over if I could.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure there is a code section that says down has to be off.
The OP has a rotary operated switch, there is no up/down to have to comply with. Unless the switch actually has LINE and LOAD marked on it you can feed through it either way. May be a stretch and at very least a little confusing for future technicians, but you may even be able to put two "line conductors" on one end and the third on the other end - it will still open all poles of the circuit when operated.

Status
Not open for further replies.