Ranking of electrical equipement by manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmeco OOE

I wanted to know if anyone knew about a website which ranks certain electrical products based on quality.
The reason is that I used to have Square D equipment but I also see ACME is available at a lower price. I wanted to know how good the ACME products are compared to Square D.
thanks in advance for any response.
It's my first post in this forum. I just signed up a week ago.

John120/240

Welcome to the Forum

Ranking of electrical equipment is a whole lot like Chevrolet vs Ford vs Dodge.

SQ D, Cutler Hammer, GE, Siemens all offer top of the line equipment, then there is their Homeline label, BR series, GE skinny breakers (HATE these).

A lot is just personal preference & what is available in your locality.

Ingenieur

It is built to the same standards NEMA/UL/IEEE/etc
so generally comes down to
suitability for the application
price
past experiences with a brand, good or bad
relationship with supplier/vendor
after sales service
delivery/availability requirements
somegimes it is dictated by what is already installed for an expansion
and $$$$

very difficult to quantify

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
MGM transformers are among the best imo. Most everything Square D. SEL for protective realys. Leviton for wiring devices. But in truth while there are good and bad aspects of every product most is simply customer preference.

Last edited:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I wanted to know if anyone knew about a website which ranks certain electrical products based on quality.
The reason is that I used to have Square D equipment but I also see ACME is available at a lower price. I wanted to know how good the ACME products are compared to Square D.
thanks in advance for any response.
It's my first post in this forum. I just signed up a week ago.

Good Q for a first one.

If you're looking for some sort of electrical consumer report , you'll find little out there .

Most of the trade rags would probably send any given writer on a permanent vacation , where they to make any claim painting one manufacturer better than another

Most of the NRTL's have been infiltrated by enough conflict of interest , and dare not advocate or scrutinize any ONE make, lest they loose their facade of non-bias

Most of the CMP's have seated manufactures ,and/or their reps , who swing for quarterly profits under the guise of safety

In fact, about the only place you'll find a well rounded opinion of any electrical good on today's market is right here, 1000 years of experience howling away in the ascii wilderness....:)

~Enjoy!

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Welcome to the Forum

Ranking of electrical equipment is a whole lot like Chevrolet vs Ford vs Dodge.

SQ D, Cutler Hammer, GE, Siemens all offer top of the line equipment, then there is their Homeline label, BR series, GE skinny breakers (HATE these).

A lot is just personal preference & what is available in your locality.
And GM, Ford, Chrysler have their "subdivisions" so to speak as well. The GMC, Buick, Mercury, Lincoln, etc. lines are in a way analogous to QO, Homeline, BR, CH, etc. Some of them have same components or similar quality put into certain components, yet different specifications are permitted on some components. They all still need to meet certain minimum standards but may exceed those standards in any particular line offered.

It is built to the same standards NEMA/UL/IEEE/etc
Like I said above - those are minimum standards that all will meet, some will exceed those standards or at least will on certain product lines.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
And GM, Ford, Chrysler have their "subdivisions" so to speak as well. The GMC, Buick, Mercury, Lincoln, etc. lines are in a way analogous to QO, Homeline, BR, CH, etc. Some of them have same components or similar quality put into certain components, yet different specifications are permitted on some components. They all still need to meet certain minimum standards but may exceed those standards in any particular line offered.

Like I said above - those are minimum standards that all will meet, some will exceed those standards or at least will on certain product lines.

I agree. For example Homeline breakers have renowned QO guts (minus the trip indicator), but CH-CH breakers now have BR guts. While everything meets minimum standards, some give more for the price then others.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Over the years I have worked for 9 different manufacturers of electrical equipment in one capacity or another. The manufacturer I work for always sells the best material. When I leave and go to work for a competitor, the stuff I used to support for the old employer becomes crap, the new stuff becomes the best. My favorite line over the years whenever I take a new job:

"Forget what I told you last week, THIS is the truth now." :D

My point is, everything is subjective. If someone were to create a website making judgements on quality / acceptability of equipment, anyone on the bottom of the list (or even just not on the top) would probably sue them to stop the publication. Win or lose the suit, the website developer would still lose in legal fees, because big companies have deep pockets and staff lawyers with nothing better to do.

Generalities:
1) Caveat emptor, which is Latin for "Let the buyer beware", indicating that this concept goes back to the Roman times. It boils down to "You get what you pay for" because in most cases if someone is significantly cheaper, there is probably a reason. Not always, but usually.
2) The bigger and/or long lived the company, the more they stand to lose from a bad reputation, so the more vested they are in maintaining quality. If a company has been around for decades selling a product, it's a fair bet that it is a reasonable product, otherwise they would not survive. Small companies often pop up and sell cheap, then disappear before the s### hits the fan. Again, not ALWAYS the case, but often. The Internet has sparked a new wave of smaller/cheaper/faster resellers, especially from China where there is no recourse for the buyer.
3) All that said, there are companies that trade on their name recognition, but don't (or no longer) actually make the products they sell. So sometimes when you are buying a well known brand, you are really buying something made by someone else and paying for the name.

In this case, assuming you are looking at transformers (because that's what Acme sells), Sq. D / Schneider does make most of their own transformers (they bought a company called Sorgel decades ago). So does Acme. The Sq. D transformers are probably a little better, but I think you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. Acme transformers hold up just fine, otherwise they wouldn't survive in our industry. There might, however, be subtle differences in things like efficiency and temperature rise, things like that worth considering.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
As a (former) utility guy, I was a rep for the EUSERC organization. We had one-on-one dealings with many of the big name mfgrs. such as GE, Square D, Siemens, etc. (also NEMA and UL). All thought their products were the best, but also, all were very interested in utility input as far as likes and dislikes. They were much less defensive about their products than I would have expected. We had trade shows every year where they asked us for input on their new products. Plus, they usually bought the BEER! Like others have said, all have some good and some bad. My only advice would be to stay away from the ones you never heard of like "Sierra Controls", or "Western Power Industries". Not impressed with them. As far as "Made in USA", forget it. I don't think any build stuff here anymore. Hope I'm wrong! Square D, by the way, is gone as far as I know. Now Telemechanique, or Schneider, or something. Maybe that's just service equipment, though.

kwired

Electron manager
As a (former) utility guy, I was a rep for the EUSERC organization. We had one-on-one dealings with many of the big name mfgrs. such as GE, Square D, Siemens, etc. (also NEMA and UL). All thought their products were the best, but also, all were very interested in utility input as far as likes and dislikes. They were much less defensive about their products than I would have expected. We had trade shows every year where they asked us for input on their new products. Plus, they usually bought the BEER! Like others have said, all have some good and some bad. My only advice would be to stay away from the ones you never heard of like "Sierra Controls", or "Western Power Industries". Not impressed with them. As far as "Made in USA", forget it. I don't think any build stuff here anymore. Hope I'm wrong! Square D, by the way, is gone as far as I know. Now Telemechanique, or Schneider, or something. Maybe that's just service equipment, though.
Most NEMA products once made under Square D name are still labeled with that name from what I am seeing, in particular switchgear, breakers, motor controllers.

IEC components seem to have Schneider name on them now, instead of Telemechanique name.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... As far as "Made in USA", forget it. I don't think any build stuff here anymore. Hope I'm wrong! Square D, by the way, is gone as far as I know. Now Telemechanique, or Schneider, or something. Maybe that's just service equipment, though.
For the most part transformers for use in North America are still made here, or Mexico (which technically is still North America). It's way way too expensive to ship big chunks of copper and steel from overseas. What has happened here in North America however is that large oil filled power transformer manufacturing has been consolidating now because of the hazardous materials involved. So there are really only a few actual manufacturers left, and in some sizes only one, so everyone brand labels the same product.

As to the Made in the USA issue, GE is the only company making a full line of gear that is not foreign owned now.
Sq. D = Schneider (France)
Cutler Hammer / Westinghouse (LV) = Eaton (Ireland)
ITE/Gould/Allis Chalmers/Furnas = Siemens (Germany)
Westinghouse (MV & HV) = ABB (Switzerland)

North American based companies:
GE (USA)
Allen Bradley / Rockwell (USA), but no switch gear / panels / transformers.

But with all of them, products are made where they can be made most competitively and with reasonable control of quality. So most of the above companies make some of their products here, some elsewhere. There's no universal rule that can be applied to any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.