Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What materials do I need to wire a VFD to a three phase motor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What materials do I need to wire a VFD to a three phase motor?

[COLOR=#000000]Hi everyone,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]I am part of a senior design group that is building a dynonameter to test shocks. We are ordering parts tomorrow morning and so I want to make sure that I am not missing anything. I do not have any experience with VFD's or three phase motors but I am doing my best to research and learn more each and every day.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]On my parts list I have[COLOR=Green] a three phase motor[/COLOR], a [COLOR=green]DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive[/COLOR], an[COLOR=green] input fuse kit for the VFD[/COLOR], a [COLOR=green]USB to RS-485 adapter[/COLOR] (for MODBUS communication), a load-cell, and a temperature sensor.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]My question is: To wire the VFD to the motor what will I need? I assume both the VFD and motor do not come with any wires. I need to connect the VFD to a three phase 50Amp outlet that will be used to power the VFD. My guess would be to order a three phase extension cord off a website like Amazon and then cut off one of the ends off and use the leads to wire to the VFD. Any thoughts? I was thinking perhaps an extension cord like this one; https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-RUL63...0VAC+extension[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]**Note: The extension cord in the link above is a [COLOR=Blue]30Amp[/COLOR]-250V extension cord. The power supply outlet is a [COLOR=blue]50Amp[/COLOR] outlet. The motor will only draw[COLOR=blue] a few Amps[/COLOR] of current. Is it safe to assume that the extension cord provided in the link will be ok for use (provided that prongs are compatible) along with the VFD and the Power supply outlet?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Thank you![/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]-Kevin[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]The Shock Dyno Control System[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]There will be two phases, a warm up phase and a test phase. The warm up phase consists of running the motor until the shock reaches a desired set temperature, when this happens the motor will stop running and there will be a small delay before automatically proceeding to the test phase. Once the test phase starts, the motor will start again and will run until a desired RPM is reached, during the test phase a graph will be plotting force (from load cell) vs RPM.[/COLOR]

An electrician can easily and safely wire this for you. Are you doing the work yourself? I will close this post as we do not allow DIY to post here
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Comment

Working...
    X