This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peter d View Post
    That was pretty funny, but I enjoyed the "East Pawtucket" reference.
    Originally posted by mgookin View Post
    Binford was my favorite part!
    I am very happy to see this received in the spirit it was posted.

Comment

Originally posted by JFletcher View Post
      Guilty... I know I tend to ask related questions on threads, tho some seem so straightforward that they don't merit a new topic...
      As we all are, it is tough. You might ask a simple related question and it might get answered in one post, another time you ask a simple question and it takes off into a heated debate. Now we can move posts but typically that becomes very hard as the posts become intertwined with on topic and off topic info.

I can tell you this, no one is happy when their post is removed or relocated.

If the OP doesnt provide enough info or asks a question open to different answers, it's often times necessary to ask questions on unmentioned specifics. Location/code cycle is one that comes to mind.
      For sure.

At the same time I find that a few members here tend to cop an attitude with new posters that they feel have not provided the info needed. This is not acceptable. If you are one of these members that gets ... lets say 'irritated' over lack of info my suggestion is to simply ignore the post. Don't post complaining that there is not enough info.

It would be nice too if new posters came back with answers/solutions to troubleshooting questions.
      It would be, but we can't expect that.

I find it mildly annoying when someone asks a question of that nature, gets a lot of good replies, but never responds back with which one or ones (if any) were the solution.
      I agree.

I feel the least one could do is come back and post that and thank those who replied as they probably saved a $100+ service call from a more experienced electrician.
      No argument from me, but if we post expecting that we will be disappointed.

btw, the Retro Encabulators made before 1986 require 0.00005-0.00008, only the ones made after require 0.00001-0.00002 output, unless of course the Marzel Vane Compensators were ACME models, which have no adjustment.
      Off topic.

Comment

zbang, please do not take the folowing as aimed at you, you just provided the quotes to work with.

Originally posted by zbang View Post
        All that, but....

We need to encourage new members to write more clearly and to use less local jargon (and to use punctuation and paragraphs...). And to check back frequently because there will be questions. .

All of that would be great but it is not required to participate here and I don't think it should be.

So many times a question is asked, which brings 3 or 4 relevant questions about the first (often to clarify), and the OP never comes 'round again to explain thingsThat leads to tangents....
        By the others, not by the OP.

Let the OP run the thread and take it in the directions that want to go.

If the OP does not provide enough info for you to feel good in answering the best answer may well be no answer.

Maybe we need an equivalent of the reporter's checklist- who, what, when, where, how.
        On one hand sure, on the other hand that just makes one more hurdle for a newbie that is already hesitant to post.

One thing I have always liked about this forum is the wide range of members it has. From top engineers to first day electrical apprentices and so many others in specialized jobs that really add to the depth of this forum.

Because of that I feel strongly that this forum should remain a comfortable place for beginners and to that end lets try to supply those newbies with info at their speed not ours.

For instance when you can see someone is struggling with some basic calculations that is not the time to get into a discussion of watts vs VA when that is not changing the results of the work.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
          wanting a quick and straight answer much like any other tool used on the job.
          Sometimes they just want to know what time it is, not how to build a clock. Or who invented them.
          The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Comment

Originally posted by dkidd View Post
            Sometimes they just want to know what time it is, not how to build a clock. Or who invented them.
            And that is 100% fine.

Comment

...but sometimes knowing what time zone they're in or asking about is essential.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

That's all fine and well, but more importantly, did you install a timer to exercise your sump pump yet?
                Mike, Dutchess County, NY

Comment

Originally posted by mjf View Post
                  That's all fine and well, but more importantly, did you install a timer to exercise your sump pump yet?
                  LOL
                  Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Comment

With all due respect, I don't see that as the gist of this forum. (the following is just using this as a jumping point, not a direct argument against you.)

The forum is specifically for those in the trade, not laymen and sometimes the best information here is found in the diversion. As such, if the answer is simple, then the OP should be challenged to come up with their own answer, not simply answered. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am not trying to speak for the forum, but this is the way I interpreted the forum information years ago when it was presented to me by the great Dennis Alwon, a lowly moderator at the time. (Oops, not that is an off topic diversion)

This also isn't a disagreement with iWire's original post as I interpret it, which is more about straying off topic, not delving more deeply in to it.

OP: "How often do you have to strap conduit?"

Proposed answer, "What research did you do before you posted this question here?"

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Comment

Originally posted by Strathead View Post
                      With all due respect, I don't see that as the gist of this forum. (the following is just using this as a jumping point, not a direct argument against you.)

The forum is specifically for those in the trade, not laymen and sometimes the best information here is found in the diversion. As such, if the answer is simple, then the OP should be challenged to come up with their own answer, not simply answered. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am not trying to speak for the forum, but this is the way I interpreted the forum information years ago when it was presented to me by the great Dennis Alwon, a lowly moderator at the time. (Oops, not that is an off topic diversion)

This also isn't a disagreement with iWire's original post as I interpret it, which is more about straying off topic, not delving more deeply in to it.

OP: "How often do you have to strap conduit?"

Proposed answer, "What research did you do before you posted this question here?"
                      I can agree. Sometimes its tempting to respond with GIYF. (Or actually hard to resist)

Comment

I can agree. Sometimes its tempting to respond with GIYF.

GIYF

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Comment

GIYF
                          That calls for a recursive post.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=giyf

Comment

As such, if the answer is simple, then the OP should be challenged to come up with their own answer, not simply answered.
                            If it seems like homework questions I agree.

If it seems like a trade guy with a real issue I would hope we would just help, sometimes that help may be just where to look in the code book, or what supplier may have a part they need etc.

Your comments here are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                              I see iwire'so point and agree with him. Too many times an unimportant details get more attention than the meat of the question being asked.
                              "Hi, my name is gadfly56 and I'm a serial thread drifter."
                              Last edited by gadfly56; 01-27-17, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Strathead, I like your summary, and want to expand just a bit.

I see Bob and the other Moderator's concern for paying attention to the original post's content. And yet, many original posts are worded such that a forum reader can not easily arrive at the same understanding of the original post as the next forum reader.

This "understanding", to me, is the heart and the art of this Forum. To me, the "intent" of the Forum is to derive meaningful understanding that can be shared, an understanding derived almost entirely from the printed word.

In practice, learning (the process of deriving meaning) generally includes risking asking questions. A first-day apprentice all the way to the credentialed electrical engineer professional engineer to the most seasoned inspector or Authority Having Jurisdiction, will, in my opinion, struggle with words in the course of asking a question about something that is not clear to the asker.

My recollections of my first posts way back last century was that my language was corrected. I simply was entering into the Forum community with a less-than-complete command of the defined terms from the NEC, and my personal use of words would give rise to all sorts of confusion, if responded to, and many times just was returned with additional questions. The freshest apprentice to the most seasoned Authority, when asking questions, can easily struggle with the terms used in the question.

Originally posted by iwire View Post
                                I figured I would post this and let you know what some of the moderators are up to. There are a number of us that feel we have been letting threads drift too much and that is not great for the original poster (OP)

What I am asking is that we try to stay directly on the OPs question and not expand on it until we hear back from the OP and they ask further questions.
                                I like the idea of staying directly with the OP's question, because it will tend to better extract the nature of the learning that is being grappled with by the original poster.

ASIDE: I apologize for my thread jacks over the years, as I have been involved is some long ones.
                                Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                                X