Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the last cold spell, I had the reason to 'search the web' for information on draining air out of my hydronic heating system.
    I did not need to know how the air got into the water, I wanted to know how to get it out.
    I did not need to know the advantages of alternative heating systems, I did not plan to replace what I just installed.
    While I appreciated the information that 'automatic' air removal devices are available (contact a local plumber), the problem at hand involved the equipment that was actually installed.

This experience got me thinking about how we treat people who visit this forum and how useful our threads are to those who just stumble onto them.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by jim dungar View Post
      During the last cold spell, I had the reason to 'search the web' for information on draining air out of my hydronic heating system.
      I did not need to know how the air got into the water, I wanted to know how to get it out.
      I did not need to know the advantages of alternative heating systems, I did not plan to replace what I just installed.
      While I appreciated the information that 'automatic' air removal devices are available (contact a local plumber), the problem at hand involved the equipment that was actually installed.

This experience got me thinking about how we treat people who visit this forum and how useful our threads are to those who just stumble onto them.
      But isn't this example exactly what has you moderators close down a thread? To me this example is the poster child of a layman asking a DIY question.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Comment

Originally posted by Strathead View Post
        But isn't this example exactly what has you moderators close down a thread? To me this example is the poster child of a layman asking a DIY question.
        It is a "poster child" only because we know Jim Dungar to be who he is. A first day apprentice or a PE, both working in the Mechanical trade, could also ask this question, and it is within the Forum Rules of a Mechanical Forum.
        Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post
          It is a "poster child" only because we know Jim Dungar to be who he is. A first day apprentice or a PE, both working in the Mechanical trade, could also ask this question, and it is within the Forum Rules of a Mechanical Forum.

And on that note, if you are an apprentice or especially a PE, information on automatic systems, and/or how the air got in to the system is exactly the kind of information you may want, even if you didn't know it going in.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Comment

But, that is the Forum readers ASSUMPTION. And it is not really responsive to Jim Dungar's hypothetical OP.
            Tapatalk
            Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

And on that note, if you are an apprentice or especially a PE, information on automatic systems, and/or how the air got in to the system is exactly the kind of information you may want, even if you didn't know it going in.
              But what happens instead is a new guy gets the drink from the fire hose treatment.
              If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                But what happens instead is a new guy gets the drink from the fire hose treatment.
                You want to water the roses, not blast them out of the ground. If the OP says "Thanks! By the way, why do they...?" after his initial question is answered I suggest that's the time to display the gory details.

Comment

But, that is the Forum readers ASSUMPTION. And it is not really responsive to Jim Dungar's hypothetical OP.

Tapatalk

Look, I'm not saying don't EVER go to "the fire hose". Just, refrain until it ties in with the original posters later posts in that same thread.
                  Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Look, I'm not saying don't EVER go to "the fire hose". Just, refrain until it ties in with the original posters later posts in that same thread.

Al, in your earlier post you took the time to apologize and while that was nice of you there is nothing you or anyone has to apologize for.

I do not think for a moment that anyone is trying to ignore the OPs, I think most if not all feel they are helping or at worst not thinking of the original question.

My goal is to make this forum a welcome place for a first day electrical student or trade member.

Comment

After the original OP has been satisfied, it makes perfect sense to expand upon the topic. We are simply asking that the unnecessary or off topic discussions be moved to a separate thread.
                      Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post

. . .

My goal is to make this forum a welcome place for a first day electrical student or trade member.
                        I agree, whole heartedly! !
                        Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Often to answer a question, five more questions have to be answered first.

Take the guy last week. "Do you need an emergency generator for a tornado shelter?"

Dozens of posts later we find out it's for an occupant load of 275 people.

By the context of this thread, nobody should have responded to his question because not enough information was given in the OP.

Color me confused. Maybe I'm not understanding this thread.
                          You make the lights come on and we make them go off.

Comment

Originally posted by mgookin View Post
                            Color me confused. Maybe I'm not understanding this thread.
                            You are not and I am not surprised as you are one of the ones that almost always complains there is not enough info.

Try this, if it is a newbie and they have not provided the info you feel you need to comfortably answer the question move on to the next post. It really is that simple.

As a moderator I would rather you say nothing to a newbie vs giving them a hard time about what they have not provided.

No one is demanding you answer, the OP has not paid you for an answer.

I am not saying no one can ask a question of the OP, but do so nicely and keep it directly on the OPs topic.

Comment

[COLOR=#333333]What I am asking is that we try to stay directly on the OPs question and not expand on it until we hear back from the OP and they ask further questions. Too often I see 20 posts that have great information but are only marginally related to the OPs question before the OP has even returned.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]We are asking that if you have info that is not directly related to the OPs question, and you cannot wait for the OP to respond before you must share it with us .... open a new thread.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]They are free and that way it is your thread to do with as you want. [/COLOR]
                              That sounds.....logical.

If for some reason I ever get off topic in an untimely fashion, feel free to push me off to a thread of my own. I will understand and not be upset. Probably more embarrassed than upset, actually.

And speaking about embarrassed, one day when I was 17 working at a gas station in the summer, this girl walks in and........
                              Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

zbang, please do not take the following as aimed at you, you just provided the quotes to work with.
                                No offense taken, they're just ideas to knock around.

I'm not sure how to double-quote so comments have context, so...

Re writing clearly-
                                Certainly shouldn't be a requirement, nothing would get done ; maybe just part of some new-member suggestions.

And we simply say "I don't understand what you're saying" or "Did you mean bla bla bla?" and then wait for them to answer. Which leads into my entreaty that the OP actually checks back and participates in the topic. Ask-and-run is a recipe for tangents .

Maybe we need an equivalent of the reporter's checklist- who, what, when, where, how.
                                More of a recommendation; it just seems that lots of comments on newer members' posts are because they've left out important details, and it would be better to put them in at the get-go.

Because it's at least somewhat on-topic, I quote part of a poem:

Life Of A Partsman--
                                I work behind the counter
                                in an automotive store,
                                Sometimes I'm a "genius"
                                Sometimes I'm called much more
                                [...]
                                But life would be a pleasure
                                And I'd grin from ear to ear'
                                If the customer would only tell me
                                The Make, Model and Year.

Comment

Working...