Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some info on posts

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Some info on posts

    Hi all,

    I figured I would post this and let you know what some of the moderators are up to. There are a number of us that feel we have been letting threads drift too much and that is not great for the original poster (OP)

    What I am asking is that we try to stay directly on the OPs question and not expand on it until we hear back from the OP and they ask further questions. Too often I see 20 posts that have great information but are only marginally related to the OPs question before the OP has even returned.

    We are asking that if you have info that is not directly related to the OPs question, and you cannot wait for the OP to respond before you must share it with us .... open a new thread.

    They are free and that way it is your thread to do with as you want.



    Here is what I see

    [COLOR="#0000FF"]
    New member: Is a weather proof switch required in a bathroom?

    First response: See code section XYZ

    Next response: What color is the bathroom.

    Next response: What is the make, model, serial number, color of the thing you are switching?

    Next response: In East Pawtucket they require fans in bathrooms.

    Next response: You did not phrase the question to my liking, why do posters never provide enough info?????

    Next response: Take the switch to a test bench, connect it to Binford 6723 test-o-matic and check the Retro Encabulator output, it should be 0.00001 to 0.00002
    [/COLOR]


    The OP comes back, reads this and says I am outta here, I just asked a simple question.



    No one should take this personal and I fully admit that I am guilty of it as well. I am going to make an effort to change that and ask the same of you.

    Thanks in advance for your consideration.

    Bob

    #2
    That is how many in person conversations go...I don't really expect it to be different in an online forum.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
      That is how many in person conversations go...I don't really expect it to be different in an online forum.
      You are right that is how a regular conversation goes.

      This is not a regular conversation unless you always have moderators watching over yours.

      Comment


        #4
        IMHO I think this is a good idea for new OPs. Many come in posting a simple question looking for a simple answer only to find their thread drifting off from the original question without adding value to it. This is not meant to knock on anyone, and to be frank I am guilty of doing it frequently- but I think this a good guideline to keep threads running smoothly while efficiently providing knowledge to original posters.

        Now, to those who know each other and are long time posters I think we can do without this in my opinion. At least I don't mind the current posting climate in my threads- in fact I appreciate it as it adds new depth and insight. But for an OP looking for a simple on the job conformation I think it does scare people off.

        Only my 2 cents.

        Comment


          #5
          I see iwire'so point and agree with him. Too many times an unimportant details get more attention than the meat of the question being asked.
          If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
            IMHO I think this is a good idea for new OPs. Many come in posting a simple question looking for a simple answer only to find their thread drifting off from the original question without adding value to it. This is not meant to knock on anyone, and to be frank I am guilty of doing it frequently- but I think this a good guideline to keep threads running smoothly while efficiently providing knowledge to original posters.

            Now, to those who know each other and are long time posters I think we can do without this in my opinion. At least I don't mind the current posting climate in my threads- in fact I appreciate it as it adds new depth and insight. But for an OP looking for a simple on the job conformation I think it does scare people off.

            Only my 2 cents.
            I agree, we need to lure new OPs in a bit slower, play them longer with a bit more finesse before we SET THE HOOK!
            Tom
            TBLO

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
              I agree, we need to lure new OPs in a bit slower, play them longer with a bit more finesse before we SET THE HOOK!


              But in all seriousness I think we will attain many new members when we gain their trust that Mike Holt's forum gets the job done quickly and reliably. I don't mean to devalue this forum- but I think many people view online forums much like an app (myself included at times) wanting a quick and straight answer much like any other tool used on the job. Remember, its easy to get numbers out of a calculator or conduit fill from an app, but code questions are not something that can be answered without human intervention.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by iwire View Post
                [COLOR=#0000FF]
                New member: Is a weather proof switch required in a bathroom?

                First response: See code section XYZ

                Next response: What color is the bathroom.

                Next response: What is the make, model, serial number, color of the thing you are switching?

                Next response: In East Pawtucket they require fans in bathrooms.

                Next response: You did not phrase the question to my liking, why do posters never provide enough info?????

                Next response: Take the switch to a test bench, connect it to Binford 6723 test-o-matic and check the Retro Encabulator output, it should be 0.00001 to 0.00002
                [/COLOR]

                That was pretty funny, but I enjoyed the "East Pawtucket" reference.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by peter d View Post
                  That was pretty funny, but I enjoyed the "East Pawtucket" reference.
                  Binford was my favorite part!
                  You make the lights come on and we make them go off.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What was the question again? I can never keep up with this place.......
                    85deg. an Sunny today.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Guilty... I know I tend to ask related questions on threads, tho some seem so straightforward that they don't merit a new topic...

                      If the OP doesnt provide enough info or asks a question open to different answers, it's often times necessary to ask questions on unmentioned specifics. Location/code cycle is one that comes to mind.

                      It would be nice too if new posters came back with answers/solutions to troubleshooting questions. Some do, however many do not. I find it mildly annoying when someone asks a question of that nature, gets a lot of good replies, but never responds back with which one or ones (if any) were the solution. I feel the least one could do is come back and post that and thank those who replied as they probably saved a $100+ service call from a more experienced electrician.

                      btw, the Retro Encabulators made before 1986 require 0.00005-0.00008, only the ones made after require 0.00001-0.00002 output, unless of course the Marzel Vane Compensators were ACME models, which have no adjustment.
                      Electricians do it until it Hertz!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        All that, but....

                        We need to encourage new members to write more clearly and to use less local jargon (and to use punctuation and paragraphs...). And to check back frequently because there will be questions. So many times a question is asked, which brings 3 or 4 relevant questions about the first (often to clarify), and the OP never comes 'round again to explain things. That leads to tangents....

                        It ought to go--
                        New member: Is a weather proof switch required in a bathroom?

                        First response: Probably not (section ###), but there might be a local code. What city/state are you in?

                        Even better would be-
                        New Member: Is a weather proof switch required in a bathroom? We're in East Undershoot, Vermont and Joe at the barbershop says it is but I can't find anything about that.


                        Maybe we need an equivalent of the reporter's checklist- who, what, when, where, how.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
                          IMHO I think this is a good idea for new OPs. Many come in posting a simple question looking for a simple answer only to find their thread drifting off from the original question without adding value to it. This is not meant to knock on anyone, and to be frank I am guilty of doing it frequently- but I think this a good guideline to keep threads running smoothly while efficiently providing knowledge to original posters.
                          Thank you, you seem to understand what I have been strangling to put words too . (I am also guilty of it)

                          Now, to those who know each other and are long time posters I think we can do without this in my opinion.
                          Exactly, once someone has become a regular here things can certainly loosen up.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                            Too many times an unimportant details get more attention than the meat of the question being asked.
                            Exactly this, over and over and over and over ...

                            And that is fine once the OPs question gets resolved.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                              I agree, we need to lure new OPs in a bit slower, play them longer with a bit more finesse before we SET THE HOOK!


                              That is a perfect way of putting it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X