3" Wooden Conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new here. I'm very interested to know if anyone has information on this Wooden Conduit that was removed from the Sorlie Bridge in Grand Forks, ND built in 1929. I would really like to know where it was made and how? Hopefully the picture is attached to this post, if not maybe someone could tell me how.

Attachments

• 3in Wooden Elec. Conduit.gif
    3in Wooden Elec. Conduit.gif
    56.5 KB · Views: 1

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that really wood (it's hard to tell from the photo), we've installed similar concrete "conduit".

upTtat2rIF7OqCbvFLXS9h-Z33nLcZ0NKmJyJOVZ9jFLCP5lU1bfSS0P28FnhErS2qqwB11FuIBBWN9EKTljDWBKK6GTEU4S2Dm_n1mY6J7QQ1zXTrVqhLN7ItSo5-aQIRJ-2FKLXJnQNHsb0Q3u6NyAsI-paGtNarFqPzkrideB5tAGEWbiCo0exWEl8zfPEwGhhmD_SdpF9JpaJYX3qudovwn2pyp2WrxT_J-HKHIjYAqKW__MGCqVMUDoU1xrs2aFkSf7YDZNxXV81bLRCAOP_Fc_PR41GmNATr5ztT3YWMrf8j6qEclbGFdirQUYISnlFfwYNHZ89xz2PjMXauT7zOGKx7DEA5uFhAeAV0qWq4Iex5L5TcOHW-eJgDg1zrjrhMsfhLAcgComy-mY29tszKjGKxbZf_PbqZYO8T5qZ8NJwqJqYa9AoZysgVQwPB9Twj-feykmuR9WDZtOIglTs0LJBIL_x_UOSwrDFrMGDTsUj_L-K6AFDraWIAEvaxe8-dtA5P4Xb7GJYeeH632sxRVRrmrINxLiNQ8TU_ZmDwwAjBa0MB_TPET7Jis9LeeTv6QNN_PkniW2dWrm2B6e0hzBS6FoEQKGRs0Ttma1iywOBe0=w593-h883-no

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
wut? i've never seen this stuff used before....

what do you do, just stuff it together and bed in sand?

Yup, there is a round end on both sides that gets a plastic coupling. Basically you bang the coupling on one end and then lay the next piece in and bang it into the coupling. The sand back-fill holds the entire thing together.

The "elbow" or turn pieces come in different sections segmented in degrees in case you may need a large sweeping 90° turn. For example you would use say 9-10° pieces or even 18-5° pieces to make up the 90° turn. As you can see in the photo you can also use the short radius sections to make offsets.

jumper

Yup, there is a round end on both sides that gets a plastic coupling. Basically you bang the coupling on one end and then lay the next piece in and bang it into the coupling. The sand back-fill holds the entire thing together.

The "elbow" or turn pieces come in different sections segmented in degrees in case you may need a large sweeping 90° turn. For example you would use say 9-10° pieces or even 18-5° pieces to make up the 90° turn. As you can see in the photo you can also use the short radius sections to make offsets.

This the place you got it from?

http://www.romanstoneco.com/conduit

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unsure there are still any but just a few years back one of the local cities had some sections of wooden water pipes still in service.
This info was from an article discussing those:
Water pipes made from wood logs are one of the earliest methods used to transport water. Their manufacture was straightforward – logs cut from yellow pine (bark intact) were bored through the center with an auger. One end of the pipe was tapered to allow the pipes to fit together. The pipes were fastened together with wrought iron bands

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Unsure there are still any but just a few years back one of the local cities had some sections of wooden water pipes still in service.
This info was from an article discussing those:
Water pipes made from wood logs are one of the earliest methods used to transport water. Their manufacture was straightforward – logs cut from yellow pine (bark intact) were bored through the center with an auger. One end of the pipe was tapered to allow the pipes to fit together. The pipes were fastened together with wrought iron bands

The ancient Romans were much more sophisticated that that. In addition to inventing hydraulic cement, that cures properly underwater, they pioneered the use of lead pipe for delivering domestic water. One out of two ain't bad. :)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The ancient Romans were much more sophisticated that that. In addition to inventing hydraulic cement, that cures properly underwater, they pioneered the use of lead pipe for delivering domestic water. One out of two ain't bad. :)

yeah, lead pipe, depending on the minerals in the water, does have that leaching problem.

the city of compton, california, still has some wooden water mains. say what you will, but the
water tasted awfully good coming out of that system back when i was a kid. my uncle had a
machine shop there... i spent some time as a young sprat learning how to work metal from
crusty old machinists.

there was some serious crust present.

Status
Not open for further replies.