Cutler Hammer BR AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Today we were at a service call for no power in a room. We found a CH BR series AFCI circuit breaker that was bad so we replaced it with a new breaker. While replacing it I noticed a two pole 15 amp CH BR series AFCI was warm. I thought it was bit warmer than normal so I put an amp clamp on each phase. Each phase had a load of .3 amps. Has anyone had any issues with CH BR AFCI breakers?

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
CH BR is our primary line for residential. They've been solid for us for the most part. I know they had issues with the first couple series of the two poles, you may have one of them. The Eaton rep has been awesome, he just drops replacements off at our office when we encounter bad ones. He doesn't even want to old ones back.

I've had more problems with Siemens AFCIs than any other brand by far... :rant:

chris1971

CH BR is our primary line for residential. They've been solid for us for the most part. I know they had issues with the first couple series of the two poles, you may have one of them. The Eaton rep has been awesome, he just drops replacements off at our office when we encounter bad ones. He doesn't even want to old ones back.

I've had more problems with Siemens AFCIs than any other brand by far... :rant:

You know what time frame they were having issues with 2 pole CH BR series AFCI circuit breakers? This one is approximately 6 years old maybe a hair older?
Does your rep work directly for Eaton? 5-6 years ago I had issues with a CH series AFCI and an engineer from Eaton came out with 3 AFCI breakers and helped troubleshoot an issue. Gave us about $130.00 worth of AFCI breakers.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
It would have been when they first came out with them. I think they had some branch circuit AFCI rated ones out first, before the requirements for the combination AFCI. Is that what you have? I'm not sure the 2 pole combos are that old... I want to say they've only been out for 3-4 years.

Yes, my rep works directly for Eaton. Are you in the Twin Cities area? I can get you his info if you like. I'd bet he's given us $2000 in breakers.

chris1971

It would have been when they first came out with them. I think they had some branch circuit AFCI rated ones out first, before the requirements for the combination AFCI. Is that what you have? I'm not sure the 2 pole combos are that old... I want to say they've only been out for 3-4 years.

Yes, my rep works directly for Eaton. Are you in the Twin Cities area? I can get you his info if you like. I'd bet he's given us $2000 in breakers.

PM Me the Eaton reps contact information.

Status
Not open for further replies.