GFCI Outlets and Breakers tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwalls

A client has multiple GFCI outlets and Breakers in their facility. The building is brand new. The devices seem to trip without cause, even outlets with nothing plugged in. They reset properly, and test properly. The facility has a backup generator and ATS. The ATS is open transition. From what I can tell, the outlets and breakers seem to have the most trouble after a transfer to the generator. It is suspected the potential surge from the open transition ATS may be the cause, although I have never experienced this before with an open transition ATS. Has anyone experienced this problem? Would installing TVSS units on each panel with GFCI breakers or outlets help take the brunt of the potential surge during the ATS operation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
I doubt it is the ATS but you could see if the ATS has a programmable delay between sources.

I have had situations where breakers feeding transformers would trip on the transition from generator back to utility that went away when I added some delay to the open time between sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.