Over thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

Simple question yet difficult answer. Single phase residential load centers.
100 amp 150 amp 200 amp main breakers.
I understand load calculation and figuring i.e.: 38,000va..240 v service would be 158 amps so 200 amp panel.
my confusion is if you really look at the way resi single pahse works..each "leg" is 180 out with each other to ground 120v . That being said while one is on the other is off.
so the real question. Let's argue for a moment I was to pull 200 amps on one leg would it trip or am I only able to pull 100 amps per leg. Please explain reasoning in your answer
hope I'm not too confusing
thanks

jumper

Another way to see it is like this.

you can have 200A x 120V x 2

or

200A x 240V x 1

or what is more common, a mixture if both types of loads. Say a load of 100A on each 120V leg and a 100A load at 240V.

Your kVA is the same no matter what.

JFletcher

Simple question yet difficult answer. Single phase residential load centers.
100 amp 150 amp 200 amp main breakers.
I understand load calculation and figuring i.e.: 38,000va..240 v service would be 158 amps so 200 amp panel.
my confusion is if you really look at the way resi single phase works..each "leg" is 180 out with each other to ground 120v . That being said while one is on the other is off.
so the real question. Let's argue for a moment I was to pull 200 amps on one leg would it trip or am I only able to pull 100 amps per leg. Please explain reasoning in your answer
hope I'm not too confusing
thanks

200A main is good for 200A on each leg. Think of it as 2 single pole 200A breakers sharing a case. If you were pulling 200A on one leg and 0 on the other (a statistical improbability to say the least), there isn't 100A going thru each side, it's 200/0, and the service neutral would be carrying 200A. If you had 200A on each side, it would be 200/200 and the service neutral would see no current at all.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
my confusion is if you really look at the way resi single pahse works..each "leg" is 180 out with each other to ground 120v . That being said while one is on the other is off.
Not so. When one leg is at its maximum positive voltage, the other is at its maximum negative voltage. They are both "off" (at zero volts relative to neutral) at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.