#14 and#12 romex tied together

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXLAKE

A new house is being built down the street from my house. I walked in to see the rough in electrical work. I noticed the electrician ran #12 romex over to a switch/box and then from the switch they ran #14 up to the light. All is protected with a 20 amp breaker. I don't remember this being by code has something changed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Its been discussed here a few times. I does not meet Code and seemingly never did although it was an accepted practice in some areas.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A new house is being built down the street from my house. I walked in to see the rough in electrical work. I noticed the electrician ran #12 romex over to a switch/box and then from the switch they ran #14 up to the light. All is protected with a 20 amp breaker. I don't remember this being by code has something changed.
How up to speed are the inspectors? They should catch it.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Seems to be a practice that started a long time ago, but AFAIK was never really allowed by NEC.

Seen it from those that only do weekend warrior wiring as well as from those that make a living wiring.

I think all our inspectors know better. Doesn't mean they will catch it every time, but the yellow vs white sheath makes that easier to catch then it used to.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
On a rough-in, I saw MC with the green re-identified as red used between two 3 way switches. If I saw it the inspector should have. The green in the box stuck out like a sore thumb on a job done with AC.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.