#14 and#12 romex tied together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#14 and#12 romex tied together

A new house is being built down the street from my house. I walked in to see the rough in electrical work. I noticed the electrician ran #12 romex over to a switch/box and then from the switch they ran #14 up to the light. All is protected with a 20 amp breaker. I don't remember this being by code has something changed.

Its been discussed here a few times. I does not meet Code and seemingly never did although it was an accepted practice in some areas.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by TXLAKE View Post
      A new house is being built down the street from my house. I walked in to see the rough in electrical work. I noticed the electrician ran #12 romex over to a switch/box and then from the switch they ran #14 up to the light. All is protected with a 20 amp breaker. I don't remember this being by code has something changed.
      How up to speed are the inspectors? They should catch it.

Roger

Comment

It would need to be on a 15 amp OCPD.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I've seen 14 awg switch legs on 20 amp circuits and the inspector passed it. The guy doing the work said "I've always done it this way".

Frank DuVal
          Fredericksburg, VA

21 Hours from Winged Horses with traffic;)

Comment

Not code. Now is it being done by those who don't know better or don't care? Yes.
            Our comedian shamelessly joked about a blackout. Talk about dark humor.

Comment

Seems to be a practice that started a long time ago, but AFAIK was never really allowed by NEC.

Seen it from those that only do weekend warrior wiring as well as from those that make a living wiring.

I think all our inspectors know better. Doesn't mean they will catch it every time, but the yellow vs white sheath makes that easier to catch then it used to.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

On a rough-in, I saw MC with the green re-identified as red used between two 3 way switches. If I saw it the inspector should have. The green in the box stuck out like a sore thumb on a job done with AC.

-Hal

Comment

Working...
                X