Panasonic and AFCI issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you are not controlling the fan through the red wires they should be tied together in the fan J-Box.

We always install 14/2/2 from the fan to the switch box. The red/white pair get connected to the red wires in the fan. This allows any option the homeowner wants during trim out.

In CA we are required to install condensation/humidity sensors on fans in rooms with a bathtub or shower. The black on the fan gets a constant hot and the reds go to the switch. Condensation sensor in fan with turn a fan on or it can be turned on manually by closing the switch connected to the red wires.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have installed a 14-3 to the fan, black for the light red for fan.

The problem with the AFCI tripping were the red signal wires were left as without being covered so they were touching the box and that made the AFCI trip.

Thank you all (especially Al) for the info.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have installed a 14-3 to the fan, black for the light red for fan.

The problem with the AFCI tripping were the red signal wires were left as without being covered so they were touching the box and that made the AFCI trip.

Thank you all (especially Al) for the info.
Just to make it clear for future visitors to the thread:
The trip was caused by the ground fault detection function of the AFCI breaker, not the arc fault detection. :)

mobile

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The trip was caused by the ground fault detection function of the AFCI breaker, not the arc fault detection. :)

mobile

I believe it was the AFCI function that tripped the breaker not a ground fault.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I believe it was the AFCI function that tripped the breaker not a ground fault.
You never did say, is the fan's AFCI a GE, or another brand?

If it's another brand, they have a ground fault sensing component.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Arc fault detection doesn't kick in till 70 amps or a freaky sign wave scares it into calling its big brother micro chip. Ground fault kicks in at 30 milli amps.

mobile

OK. I see.:thumbsup:. It was the ground fault.

You never did say, is the fan's AFCI a GE, or another brand?

If it's another brand, they have a ground fault sensing component.

Square-D Home line

Great!! Learned so much. AWSOME. Cool Beans!!!

Thanks gents.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Square D does not use indicator lights on their HOM or QO AFCI's. They do have:

TIME SAVER Diagnostics identify circuit issues faster. The TIME SAVER sequence is simple and easy to use, and requires no tools or special training.
• Simply turn off the circuit breaker, hold down the Push-To-Test button, and then turn the circuit breaker back on. It’s that simple!
»»If the circuit breaker trips immediately, it is detecting a Fault to Ground.
»»If the circuit breaker trips after a 2-second delay; it is detecting an Arc Fault. In either case, it is an indication that there is an issue ON the circuit and NOT with the circuit breaker itself.

Siemens AFCI's do have 2 LED's to indicate AF or GF trip.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Square D does not use indicator lights on their HOM or QO AFCI's. They do have:

TIME SAVER Diagnostics identify circuit issues faster. The TIME SAVER sequence is simple and easy to use, and requires no tools or special training.
• Simply turn off the circuit breaker, hold down the Push-To-Test button, and then turn the circuit breaker back on. It’s that simple!
»»If the circuit breaker trips immediately, it is detecting a Fault to Ground.
»»If the circuit breaker trips after a 2-second delay; it is detecting an Arc Fault. In either case, it is an indication that there is an issue ON the circuit and NOT with the circuit breaker itself.

Siemens AFCI's do have 2 LED's to indicate AF or GF trip.
I do not use HL, I assumed it had the idiot lights when he told me it had a feature to help solve the problem.
Wrong again.

Max Tang

New User
Panasonic exhaust fan trips AFCI breaker

Panasonic exhaust fan trips AFCI breaker

I have the same issue as Edward. I installed 5 Panasonic FV-08Q5 quiet fans. Three of them trip the AFCI breakers every time you energize them. They also trip GFCI breakers. Two fans behave fine.
These fans are quiet, blow 80 CFM, and have no light or heater. They draw 14.5 watts, or less than 0.15 amp. The fans that trip AFCI breakers are on different circuits, and none of the can lights on the same circuit trip the breaker. Therefore, I don't believe the wiring is suspect.
I'm beginning to think the fans should not be on an AFCI or GFCI circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always keep my bathrooms off of an afci just to be certain the fans work. I would also hate to see an elderly person in the shower at night and have the lights go out because of an afci.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have installed hundreds of 3-speed Panasonic fans on AFCI circuits and have never had a problem.

The fan is not the issue. Its the electrician wiring them. The RED control leads must isolated from all other wiring. They either get tied together in the fan J-box or they get run to a single pole switch. These control leads are connected to the neutral side of the control board. If you don't tie them together or run them to a single pole switch the fan will not operate properly. If you leave them floating in the fan J-box they will cause a ground fault causing an AFCI or GFCI to trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.