Portable Generator to panel wiring neutral/ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Current flow???
It would seem to me to be a more acceptable way to installing a portable generator to a house............
to install a small sub panel with critical circuits in it so you are attaching the neutral of the generator to the neutral of the sub panel and the ground of the generator to the ground of the sub panel...
BUT... since the sub panels neutral and ground go back to the main panels bonded neutral block, wouldn't it be the same as tying the generator into the main panel ( generator n+g to panels bonded neutral with no separation)
Is there any difference or benefit to creating two separate blocks in the panel board?? (or bring both neutral and ground from generator to main panel and don't sweat it?)
Wondering. And I think I asked this question 4 or 6 years ago about paralleling the ground and neutral and I think the answer was "do it". correct??
Thank you

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Is there any difference or benefit to creating two separate blocks in the panel board?? (or bring both neutral and ground from generator to main panel and don't sweat it?)
Wondering. And I think I asked this question 4 or 6 years ago about paralleling the ground and neutral and I think the answer was "do it". correct??
Thank you

There is no electrical safety reason to switch the neutral for a back up generator. The only thing you gain is not tripping GFCI protection on a newer portable generator.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
There is no electrical safety reason to switch the neutral for a back up generator. The only thing you gain is not tripping GFCI protection on a newer portable generator.

+1
And that can be fixed if you know how.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it a secret. ?

Guessing you look for and remove the ground /neutral bond in the generator ??

I removed mine on my Generac because it will only be used with an inlet box to supply my house (yes I have a stupid sign). ;) Depending on the generator it's a 10 minute job. :thumbsup:

ritelec

Also correct me if I'm wrong. Connecting the neutral of the generator to the ges. It gets switched and grounded to the system if the neutral and ground in the generator are bonded. And doesn't get switched and connected to the ges if the neutral and ground are not bonded.

ritelec

Any issue using nm in the house to back feed the panel?
I mean. Parellelling the 10's. Neutral is insulted and the ground is not ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Any issue using nm in the house to back feed the panel?
I mean. Parellelling the 10's. Neutral is insulted and the ground is not ?

You cannot parallel #10's. Maybe you can explain with a little more detail what your proposed setup will look like.

ritelec

I'm not sure what you mean. There is no issue with using NM. What do you mean by "Paralleling the 10s"?

You cannot parallel #10's. Maybe you can explain with a little more detail what your proposed setup will look like.

the wiring method will be thhn/thwn from garage to house.
In the house to the panel will be NM-b

If I don't remove the bond in the generator.. the # 10 neutral and ground wires will connect there.
and the panel where the neutral/ground is bonded. .

The 2 10's (neutral and ground) will be connecting at each end

the grounded current carrying conductor (insulated thhn in conduit and in the nm) and
the grounded non current carrying conductor (thhn in conduit and bare in the nm) will be running in parallel from generator to panel.

if I remove the bond in the generator, I guess it would illuminate that.
If I don't, the ground and neutral will be running in parallel

QUESTION

QUESTION

Hi guys~
I thought a switched neutral would protect a PG&E lineman from a back-feed injury during a power outage repair on a pole?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hi guys~
I thought a switched neutral would protect a PG&E lineman from a back-feed injury during a power outage repair on a pole?

You aren't going to "back-feed" the neutral in a non-SDS. The service neutral is tied to the earth, the generator neutral is tied to the earth, the poco neutral is tied to the earth, the water pipe is tied to the earth, the ground rod is tied to the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.