National Electrical Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Where can I find in the National Electrical Code the distance between lighting switches and showers?

2) Where can I find in the National Electrical Code if the lighting circuit in the bathroom shall be protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter breaker?

Thank you very much!

peter d

1) Not specified by NEC.

2) Not specified by NEC, but may be a listing requirement of some vent/light units. Check manufacturers instructions.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Peter is correct, neither is directly specified in the NEC, 210.8 and 404.4 are the relevant code sections. Only bathroom recpts are required to be GFCI protected and you can't put a switch inside the shower but you can get as close as possible and still be code compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only time gfci is needed for lighting is when the manufacturer states so when used over a shower. Very few manufacturers req. that.... Fans installed over a shower are required to be gfci protected but that is a manufacturer's installation requirement, not an NEC code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others. A graphic from Mike, although it's old it is still applicable:

202ecmCQAFig7.gif

tw1156

Switch in Shower

Switch in Shower

Wouldn't a switch be permitted in a shower if it was part of a listed assembly as part of a shower unit,etc? It's not that all switches are not permitted, just those that are not part of a listed assembly. Am I way off in my thinking?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wouldn't a switch be permitted in a shower if it was part of a listed assembly as part of a shower unit,etc? It's not that all switches are not permitted, just those that are not part of a listed assembly. Am I way off in my thinking?

Yes that would be part of the current code language.

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations. A surface-mounted switch
or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be en-
closed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall
comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit
breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a
weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within
wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as
part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

JFletcher

The only time gfci is needed for lighting is when the manufacturer states so when used over a shower. Very few manufacturers req. that.... Fans installed over a shower are required to be gfci protected but that is a manufacturer's installation requirement, not an NEC code.

110.3(B) is the code that makes mfg req's part of the NEC.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In my experience, combination lights/fans/heaters for use in showers are pretty much certain to require GFCI if they include a heating element. Not so certain, but common, for other combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.