location of smoke detector near kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylerado

According to IRC 314.3.1 2015

*Ionization type, no less than 20' away from permanently installed cooking equipment
*Ionization type with silencing switch no less than 10' away
*Photoelectric type no less than 6' away
Measured horizontally.
* unless this prevents proper placement per 3.14.3

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've heard there is a recommendation on how far away a smoke detector needs to be from a kitchen. I think these locations are not NEC but Building codes. Thank you.

Correct, not an Nec issue but a building or fire alarm code. Also the instructions may have something to say about it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
We had an ionization detector about 15' from our gas range. Every time something dripped a little in the bottom of the oven, the detector would go off.

It got to the point that the dog would want outside as soon as we turned on the oven. The smoke alarm probably hurt his ears, and he learned real quick to associate the oven starting with the alarm going off.

Replaced with a photoelectric, and it hasn't gone off since. And the dog is usually ok staying inside now while we are cooking, although he still occasionally heads for the door.

Michael15956

We had an ionization detector about 15' from our gas range. Every time something dripped a little in the bottom of the oven, the detector would go off.

It got to the point that the dog would want outside as soon as we turned on the oven. The smoke alarm probably hurt his ears, and he learned real quick to associate the oven starting with the alarm going off.

Replaced with a photoelectric, and it hasn't gone off since. And the dog is usually ok staying inside now while we are cooking, although he still occasionally heads for the door.

:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
For situations such as this I have used a Heat Detector.

I do too sometimes in commercial spaces, but dwelling units require smoke detectors.

And the smokes should work fine, if you follow the distances listed above. (Although, I wouldn't install an ionization within 20' even if it has a silence button. That would still be a PIA.)

Status
Not open for further replies.