Pull down attic stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say yes. If, for example, there is a device on the floor above that is require to be "readily accessible," then a pull-down ladder would not put you into the "no portable ladders" arena. I think the rule against portable ladders has to do with the difficulty you might face if you are not able to find the ladder when you wish to use it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are pull down attic stairs considered "permanent stairs or ladders"

The term is not defined in the NEC so it means whatever whomever is interpreting it thinks it means.

I would suggest any reasonable definition of the word permanent would include a pull down stair that is secured in place, unless one argues that a house is not permanent because it will eventually be torn down. Don't laugh. I have heard argument that are close to that silly made here before.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Every pull down ladder attic around here has a pull chain socket with the string hanging down around the opening. One condo complex takes it further and has a lighted switch in the hallway- ie glows red when the attic bulb is lit.

From a code perspective, my understanding is that unless you have heating or cooling equipment up there, you do not need a light source and the pull down stairs are not "permanent".

kwired

Electron manager
The term is not defined in the NEC so it means whatever whomever is interpreting it thinks it means.

I would suggest any reasonable definition of the word permanent would include a pull down stair that is secured in place, unless one argues that a house is not permanent because it will eventually be torn down. Don't laugh. I have heard argument that are close to that silly made here before.
I am working on a house that was moved from one place to another, they just finished setting it in it's new place today, does that make it a mobile home now?:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.