Stepper motors - stride angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoply

Hello all. Thanks for taking up your time to read my post.

I am interested in using one of these cheap stepper motors for one of my projects, but need a step angle of ~2°. I came across the 42L048D1U and noticed that it has a "stride angle" of 5.625°/64. What exactly does this mean? I doubt it will give me the 2° accuracy which I desire, so maybe I could use a gear system to reduce that step angle further.

But in general, what is that stride angle referring to ?

Can anyone help me ? I am very puzzled about this question.

Last edited by a moderator:

gar

Occupation
EE
170523-0820 EDT

neoply:

I have no idea what a "stride angle" is. So I think you will need to run an experiment.

However, it is interesting that 5.625 deg is 1/64 of 360 deg, or of one revolution. So is the "5.625 deg/64" simply symbolism to say that each step of the motor is 5.625 deg? That would be my guess.

Obviously there is no integer divisor of 1/64 that equals 1/180. The closest is 1/(3*64) = 1/192 or 360/192 = 1.875 deg.

If you need exactly 2 deg steps, then a different motor is required or you need to use micro-stepping to approximate 2 deg.

With a 64 step motor you can get exact X*2 at 360, 180, and 90.

Integer divisors of 64 are 64*1, 32*2, 16*4, 8*8. 1, 2, and 4 are also integer divisors of 360, 8 is not.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Strange that doing a search for stride angle pops the exact same question (almost word for word) from 4 years ago on another engineering forum:

I am interested in using one of these cheap stepper motors for one of my projects, but need a step angle of ~2°. I came across the 28BYJ-48 and noticed that it has a "stride angle" of 5.625°/64. What exactly does this mean? I doubt it will give me the 2° accuracy which I desire, so maybe I could use a gear system to reduce that step angle further.
But in general, what is that stride angle referring to?

Here was the answer posted there:

[The Kiatronics page is clearly produced by someone who speaks English as a second language, who worked from a translated data sheet (English to Chinese or Japanese, I'd guess) and then translated the translation of step as "stride", which is not an unreasonable mistake. It's like the story of the translating program which took "Out of sight, out of mind", translated it into Russian and then translated the Russian to English, and got "Invisible idiot". – WhatRoughBeast Mar 7 '16 at 21:34

Last edited by a moderator:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Strange that doing a search for stride angle pops the exact same question (almost word for word) from 4 years ago on another engineering forum:

Here was the answer posted there:
Interesting that you caught the almost exact duplicate post that linked to a different supplier of the same Chinese part. But in addition to that, the poster has only made one other post, including a link to the SAME supplier and given that his profile says he in from Brazil but his IP says he is in China, I'm guessing this is just click bait to drive traffic to their Chinese website. This is getting to be a common scam I'm afraid. Steve if you disagree, let me know in the Mod forum, and "neoply" if I am wrong about you, I'll give you 24 hrs to prove it via Private Message, otherwise I'm voting to ban you for falsifying your profile. I'm going to close this thread for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.