Gfci breaker tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

I'm going to try to explain my situation I have an out door pool panel feeding two different locations for receptacles. Each location has a metallic two gang outdoor. Box being fed via PVC conduit. Each box has 2 receptacles one constant feed and one switched receptacle. The switched receptacle is to feed a plug in transformer for landscape lighting. So basically I have a splice in the panel because it's only 2 ckts and the piping was done before I got there. When I turn everything on gfci breaker trips so I disconnect the nutreal going to one side of the switched receptacle that has nothing pluged into it at the m moment and it's fine. as soon as I touch it back it trips. My guess is a nutreal leaking somewhere. By the way there are dedicated egcs in each PVC run that are spliced to the box and receptacls as well . How would you go about testing for this with a tester to narrow down further

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

growler

In a case like this I would start at the pool panel and disconnect the line conductors to include the neutral. I would do a continuity check from H-N, H-G, N-G. of the branch circuits.

You may have a nick in one of the conductors going to ground in the PVC (normally wet in there). You can use a megger if you have one but it's often bad enough to find with just a meter if you don't.

nickelec

In a case like this I would start at the pool panel and disconnect the line conductors to include the neutral. I would do a continuity check from H-N, H-G, N-G. of the branch circuits.

You may have a nick in one of the conductors going to ground in the PVC (normally wet in there). You can use a megger if you have one but it's often bad enough to find with just a meter if you don't.
I was thinking the same a short between n&g

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.