Phone charging stations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

"Like in the Hamptons"

Was asked for several areas around pool for receptacles FOR phone chargers

Costumer mentioned they have flip top in the ground type in the
Hamptons?? Flip top ??

Anyone farmiliar with ground rated receptacles(120v) and charging stations ? . And if so (or not) is there any alternatives to the depth and distance requirement for just charging stations vs high (120v) wiring ?

Will research and return with any info I may find.

Thank you

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
"Like in the Hamptons"

Hamptons?? Flip top ??

Anyone farmiliar with ground rated receptacles(120v) and charging stations ? . And if so (or not) is there any alternatives to the depth and distance requirement for just charging stations vs high (120v) wiring ?

Thank you

"the hamptons" was the clue.
you need a "liberal millennial elite" docking station.

https://brightboxcharge.com/platform/

Fulthrotl

For those who death is a better choice than being without their phones...

-Hal

for better or for worse, it seems we have a culture in full flower
that thinks it's a good idea to protest in the streets (think "stick fight")
with a selfie stick..... :lol:

welcome to the culture of live streaming clickbait.

there's no way i'd plug my iphone into a charging cable that i didn't own.

a while back, there were these really cheap iphone charging cables, that
were 20% of the cost of an apple cable. people bought tons of them.

made in china. you plugged in an ios device, and it rootkitted your device,
so it could call home to the mothership..... and that wasn't at 1 infinite loop,
cupertino, either. :dunce:

Last edited:

ritelec

Thank you for that link. I'll look more into it but it looks like a vending machine.

They are looking for something in the ground pool side where the can sit in s lawn chair/recliner have the phone plugged in and being used.

???

Worse to worse I could suggest 120v receptacles mounted around the edge 6' out on 4x4's with bubble covers ??

Thank you.

(Going to see if I can get more info about what she was talking about and what the "Hampton" used)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This could be tough because there is no universal size for phone chargers that use 120 volts. If it were me, I would look at getting a USB port to the pool and not deal with 120 volts. Every phone sold in the last 10 years can be charged with USB and a USB cable.

ritelec

This could be tough because there is no universal size for phone chargers that use 120 volts. If it were me, I would look at getting a USB port to the pool and not deal with 120 volts. Every phone sold in the last 10 years can be charged with USB and a USB cable.

Yes. That's what I'm talking about.

Maybe I asked my question wrong.

Are there in the ground usb ports I could install.
Which would also be less stringent in barrel depths ??

Figure installing like 3 and 3 in a 35' corner area.

120 v to remote usb outlets?? Manufactures for systems and specs.

I was screwed up looking at phone chargers for search and post question Usb !!!!

Thank you.

Will research. Again any info will be appreciated

Fulthrotl

They are looking for something in the ground pool side where the can sit in s lawn chair/recliner have the phone plugged in and being used.
(Going to see if I can get more info about what she was talking about and what the "Hampton" used)

they can't even stop talking on it while it charges?

dude, then they REALLY need the charging box.
maybe if they put the phone down they might see
something around them.

consider it a public service to get them off that phone.

better yet, have them just drop the phone in the pool.
it'll keep the batteries from catching fire.

ritelec

I agree. But I'm just the messenger ?

Who is this lowley just scrapping by electrician to tell this high class NY lawyer how to use their cell phone by their pool. :- )

Thanks man !

OldSparks

Occupation
Retired: Electrician, Submarine Electronics (21 years), Potable water system maintenance boss (21 years).

+1

ritelec

If it were me, I would look at getting a USB port to the pool and not deal with 120 volts.

How to do that? I would need to still have 120 to create the charging voltage...............
OR.....how?

Some type of cat wire to a computer???

please educated me..

Thank you

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Leviton has an all USB receptacle (4 port). use two of them remotely and then make USB extensions using heavier low voltage wire (irrigation wire). i just not sure the Leviton item can supply ~8.4 amps (2.1A/port x 4port).

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How to do that? I would need to still have 120 to create the charging voltage...............
OR.....how?

Some type of cat wire to a computer???

please educated me..

Thank you

People charge phones in their cars all the time using the 12 volt accessory plug, so you do not need 120 volts. If it were my pool, I wouldn't want 120 volts any where near it. If I just HAD to have a phone charger near the pool, I would do some design work to use a 12 volt system. One would have to consider voltage drop. Unless there is a product I don't know about, this would be a one off creation, not a plug and play system.

No need for a computer or CAT cable. Just a power supply, regular wire and some USB 12 volt adapter sockets. And enclosures and conduit, you know the rest.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
"Like in the Hamptons"

Hamptons?? Flip top ??

Thank you

I don''t see this as big problem. Pool and spa lights are low voltage powered, water tight assemblies installed below water level.

When I built my outdoor spa, I installed a 16volt power line from my pool equipment shed from a step down transformer.

This was almost 30 years ago when USB's were not even in the dictionary.

This is of course straight ac, but having a rectified/filtered 5volt DC shouldn't be rocket science.

Phone chargers can be mounted in pedestal a short distance from the pool or use one of the posters posted link.
My installation passed with flying colors from the Building and Safety inspector.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
how does any in-ground box (ports) survive the environment.
i once worked for a company who did parking lot in-ground connectivity at truck stops (usb, phone, tv cable). what a nightmare with connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.