Emt install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt123

Quick question so mounting emt on the ceiling of a garage for an apartment building. Can the emt be strapped directly to the concrete ceiling or must be mounted to strut? Thanks

Jberg73

Never mind, I see in your post it's concrete. Should be fine. Or you can tapcon mini's and that would give you a 1/2" stand off from ceiling. Either way would be fine.

Jason

matt123

ok thanks. I was suggesting strut to the guys bc the inspectors here are tough on every little thing. They started one garage with one hole straps with plastic anchors directly to the ceiling.
Hopefully it's fine. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ok thanks. I was suggesting strut to the guys bc the inspectors here are tough on every little thing. They started one garage with one hole straps with plastic anchors directly to the ceiling.
Hopefully it's fine. Thanks

What code section could they possibly cite to prohibit this?

macmikeman

I'm an old guy now. Back when I started we had these things called standoffs I think it was that basically was a flat little 1/4'' plate with a hole in it that acted like a chair between the emt and the concrete surface at every one hole strap. It is still a code requirement 300.6 (D) if you run emt in a wet location indoors on concrete to keep it off the surface 1/4'' but I don't consider garage ceilings to be an indoor wet location generally and neither does the NEC.

matt123

I'm an old guy now. Back when I started we had these things called standoffs I think it was that basically was a flat little 1/4'' plate with a hole in it that acted like a chair between the emt and the concrete surface at every one hole strap. It is still a code requirement 300.6 (D) if you run emt in a wet location indoors on concrete to keep it off the surface 1/4'' but I don't consider garage ceilings to be an indoor wet location generally and neither does the NEC.

Thank you

GerryB

I still see them in old buildings. I thought they were for ridgid, kind of like a minny so you didn't have to do a box set at the boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.