2017 NEC 210.8(B) - Kitchen GFCI & Shunt Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Pickle

Occupation
Electrical
So 210.8(B) is a new addition to the NEC with a bit more stringent requirements on GFCI uses in Commercial Kitchens. I am curious how to meet this requirement and provide the requirement to disconnect power to equipment under a kitchen hood upon activation of the fire or ANSIL system. Has anyone seen a 2/P GFCI breaker with shunt trip or a 3/P GFCI breaker with shunt trip?

What methods are you using to provide GFCI protection on such kitchen equipment and to disconnect the power upon activation of a hood fire signal?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What are you, a wise guy? :lol:

I asked that very same question a few days ago and the reply was "how many 208v/3p receptacles do you see". Let's see what you get.

-Hal

I'm guessing he's thinking of that as main breaker for the panel. In that case it wouldn't need to be GFCI.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Me neither. I know the Article says receptacles and you would have a hard time finding one of those too, or at least anything that large that would be plug and cord connected. But isn't the intent to protect workers using the equipment in that environment irrespective of how it's connected?

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So 210.8(B) is a new addition to the NEC with a bit more stringent requirements on GFCI uses in Commercial Kitchens. I am curious how to meet this requirement and provide the requirement to disconnect power to equipment under a kitchen hood upon activation of the fire or ANSIL system. Has anyone seen a 2/P GFCI breaker with shunt trip or a 3/P GFCI breaker with shunt trip?

What methods are you using to provide GFCI protection on such kitchen equipment and to disconnect the power upon activation of a hood fire signal?

Siemens make a 2-pole gfci shunt trip; Google is your friend.

If you have a lot of electrical for a renovation or new install, put the required circuits in a sub panel and feed it with a shunt trip breaker. Your branch circuits can be GFCI. If you have only one or two circuits, use a contactor.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Me neither. I know the Article says receptacles and you would have a hard time finding one of those too, or at least anything that large that would be plug and cord connected. But isn't the intent to protect workers using the equipment in that environment irrespective of how it's connected?

-Hal
I agree the overall intent is safety but the cmp's overreach all the time and come up with lousy code sections.

There is also a lousy loop hole that if you can get a code change adopted the UL will follow so you end up with products being required that didn't exist or were not as available before the change. I don't know if this is one of those cases. In use covers would be an example of what I'm talking about.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I'm not a big fan of shunt trip breakers for this use. If you lose the control power and don't know it they will never shut off. Rather, I prefer a normally energized contactor or contactors. Lose control power there and everything goes off. And of course they can be had in 3 pole. I also second the recommendation for a sub panel, which would be fed through one of those contactors for the lighting, receptacles, gas valve and make up air. Use GFCI breakers to supply the receptacle circuits.

ETA: Somebody posted about this the other day, you may find it useful. Kitchen Fan Control Center that is a prewired unit that handles the exhaust, MUA and lighting control and interfaces with the ANSUL and fire systems. http://www.greenheck.com/media/pdf/otherinfo/Wiring_KFCCArrgW-MUA.pdf

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.