NEC requirement for cu and al feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding Cu and AL feeder requirement.

Is there any NEC code requirement for using Cu and Al feeder?

Is there any limitation for using Al feeder?

Sometimes if we need to provide long distance feeder, our clients or contractors will choose Al feeder. But if we need to provide feeder for the panels feeding critical load(For example, feed emergency lighting, critical electrical load), do we need to provide Cu feeder only?

I really appreciate any suggestions.

David

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There are no restrictions I am aware of on using aluminum wire for feeders.

I seem to recall there is some kind of restriction on using aluminum wire underground, but IIRC, it only applies to uninsulated conductors, so would only apply to the EGC if my memory is serving me correctly.

As far as I know, aluminum wire suitable for NEC installations is not available in smaller sizes (maybe like < #6) so it might be more cost effective to use copper for smaller sized feeders rather than going with a much larger sized conductor.

There are no restrictions I am aware of on using aluminum wire for feeders.

I seem to recall there is some kind of restriction on using aluminum wire underground, but IIRC, it only applies to uninsulated conductors, so would only apply to the EGC if my memory is serving me correctly.

As far as I know, aluminum wire suitable Thanks for your answer, Bob
for NEC installations is not available in smaller sizes (maybe like < #6) so it might be more cost effective to use copper for smaller sized feeders rather than going with a much larger sized conductor.

Thanks for your answer, Bob

ron

AL or CU can be used the same in every application.

You need to consider voltage drop, termination ratings and everything you normally would specify and check for compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.