ground wire size for two rods, 200 amp residential

Status
Not open for further replies.
250.66(A) says the grounding electrode to a single or multiple rods shall not be required to be larger than a #6 copper wire.

But in 250.66 it says for a 2/0 copper service entrance conductor, which you have for the 200 amp service, a #4 copper conductor.

For residential I've always used a #4 because inspectors seemed to ask for it. In commercial I've always used a #6 because it's drawn on the plan.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You are not required by code to have larger than a number six. However if you have a #4 or larger to the ground rods you are not required to provide any special protection. If it is smaller than #4 some kind of protection is required. It may be that they have decided II just require #4 to simplify the decision

You are not required by code to have larger than a number six. However if you have a #4 or larger to the ground rods you are not required to provide any special protection. If it is smaller than #4 some kind of protection is required. It may be that they have decided II just require #4 to simplify the decision
Let's say you have the conductor sleeved to the rod, how do you argue one article against the other?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Let's say you have the conductor sleeved to the rod, how do you argue one article against the other?

Look at it this way:
One article provides the required minimum size for a GEC based on the service size.
The other states that for specified electrode types the GEC need not exceed a specific size.
If the second rule does not override other more general rules it does not serve any purpose. So, beyond the general rule that the specific overrides the general, the very existence of the second section implies that it overrides the first.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thankfully this has been rewritten for the 2017 NEC. #6 is all that's required, if subject to physical damage then it needs to be protected, even in the earth. If the GEC is smaller than #6 then protection is required. That old nonsense about using a #4 in lieu of #6 in some instances has been removed from the NEC. {250.64(B)}

luckylerado

As long as the GEC that ties to the rods does not then go on to hit the concrete encased electrode or the water line there is not any other way to interpret 250.66(A). If you hit the rods first and then the rebar, #6 is too small.

Good luck educating the POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.