IC cans and foam insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

My neighbor has a room that was built and roughed 20 years ago and now he wants to finish it. There are basic 6 inch IC cans in the slope ceiling. The question is the HO says they are going to put 5-7" of foam in, which will partially encase the housing. Are these cans still good? They were probably not planning on spray foam back then. (I saw some slots in the housings that might get sealed with spray foam, don't know if they are for escape of heat).

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Every project I have worked on with spray foam insulation the insulation contractor places bat insulation above and around the cans prior to spaying the foam. This allows for future access to the can and also prevent the foam from pushing the can out of the ceiling.

GerryB

Every project I have worked on with spray foam insulation the insulation contractor places bat insulation above and around the cans prior to spaying the foam. This allows for future access to the can and also prevent the foam from pushing the can out of the ceiling.
Thanks, that is a good idea. I will tell that to my neighbor. Plus you do need that access to the j-box. I remember now one time on a job trying to adjust a recess trim down to be flush with the ceiling and it wouldn't move. Then I saw it, foam insulation!:happysad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just refuse to install cans in those ceilings. Putting batts in really compromises the whole purpose of the spray foam. I would not do that, IMO it is a bad idea but I don't like spray foam either.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.