Interlocking Two Air Compressor's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

retirede

Years ago, we would simply add a NC aux contact on each starter and wire it in the control circuit of the other unit. Requires, of course appropriate warnings about foreign voltage in each control panel.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
isnt a tpdt switch the easiest/safest way?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
isnt a tpdt switch the easiest/safest way?
Easy? Safe? Yes.

But have you priced a 300A-rated tpdt switch lately?

Compare to say a control three-position center-off operator with two NO contact blocks or starter aux contacts. There has to be some sort of control for a 300A air compressor motor!

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Easy? Safe? Yes.

But have you priced a 300A-rated tpdt switch lately?

Compare to say a control three-position center-off operator with two NO contact blocks or starter aux contacts. There has to be some sort of control for a 300A air compressor motor!

the model # i posted seems to retail around ~$2k.

so what was the final solution? there's option A - take days/weeks/months to try and find something for cheap, or option B - install TPDT today and take a dent in wallet. if the OP's job site needs air right away then option B sounds like it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe I missed something, but since this will not necessarily be safety disconnect or lockout, why not just interlock the starter controls instead?
Or are both motors really connected to a single starter?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
the model # i posted seems to retail around ~$2k.

so what was the final solution? there's option A - take days/weeks/months to try and find something for cheap, or option B - install TPDT today and take a dent in wallet. if the OP's job site needs air right away then option B sounds like it.
My local supply house probably has the operator and contact blocks necessary plus an appropriate enclosure sitting on the shelf. Just need to confirm each compressor has its own starter. Yes, a dent in the wallet over internet pricing... but nowhere near $2k.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems to me if you ran both at the same time and it draws enough to blow fuses you maybe learn to not run both at the same time:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.