Service from meter to modular home

Status
Not open for further replies.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I helped a friend (who had to go out of town on business) finish the wiring (underground) to his mother-in-law's modular home that was just delivered and set up. He got most of the wire connected from the meter disconnect at the meter pedestal to the house about 150 ft away. Used SER aluminum wire (200A) in 2" PVC conduit. I just finished hooking to the main disconnect and powered it up to test all of the house wiring. But...the inspector told his wife he'd have to "rip out all the wire" because he didn't use "Type W" wire. What is he talking about? Is there something I don't know about SER wire or modular home services? I was supposed to be the "expert".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the SER is in a raceway underground then the inspector is correct. You'll need a conductor type with a W like THWN or XHHW which is listed for wet locations.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I helped a friend (who had to go out of town on business) finish the wiring (underground) to his mother-in-law's modular home that was just delivered and set up. He got most of the wire connected from the meter disconnect at the meter pedestal to the house about 150 ft away. Used SER aluminum wire (200A) in 2" PVC conduit. I just finished hooking to the main disconnect and powered it up to test all of the house wiring. But...the inspector told his wife he'd have to "rip out all the wire" because he didn't use "Type W" wire. What is he talking about? Is there something I don't know about SER wire or modular home services? I was supposed to be the "expert".

This might be helpful to you.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=86929&page=4

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the SER is in a raceway underground then the inspector is correct. You'll need a conductor type with a W like THWN or XHHW which is listed for wet locations.

More correctly you need a conductor type which is rated for a wet environment, since the outside raceway is "wet", as is exposed or direct burial.
But not all wet-rated conductor types have a W in the designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.