Rooftop AC unit disconnect clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockwalker

Last week I was sent to one of our projects in order to do an inspection of the rooftop equipment prior to start up. I found that the plumbers had run their racking system well within the disconnect working clearances as specified in 110.26(A) (1) per condition 2, and the electricians had run their load side branch circuit conduit out of the bottoms of the disconnects straight over to the AC units which should fall under condition 1. We are currently in a debate over the depth of the working space, the width of the working space and the exact definition of Dedicated Equipment Space. As I see it the plumbers have blown the working clearance by the location/proximity of the racking (see pic 1) and the electricians should have adhered to the width of the equipment or 30" whichever is greater rule (see pic 2). Can someone please assist?

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1

kwired

Electron manager
Do you need working space in front of these disconnects?

Some places if there is no overcurrent device in there, they don't require working space. Others require it regardless.

NEC only requires if it is likely to be examined or adjusted, etc. while energized but that is sort of a judgement call as to when that condition is indeed true.

Status
Not open for further replies.