Neutral Sensor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a neutral sensor going in a enclosed circuit breaker outside a building as a Main Disconnect. In the installation instructions for reverse connection residual mode (Line in bottom ,Load out top of breaker) they have the sensor shown on the "Load" side of the Main Bonding Jumper. In the can, the mounting screws for the neutral sensor are on the "Line" side of the main bonding jumper. Will being mounted "before" the main bonding jumper affect the neutral sensor?

Residual mode? That means something different to me. In my experiences residual means that you run the ungrounded conductors through the sensor. The sensor then will output in ratio the unbalanced current. Which could be neutral current or ground current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I apologize but I'm not understanding your answer. Both cut sheets show the bonding jumper In between the sensor and the service transformer. However the mounting studs for the sensor are in between the main bonding jumper and the service transformer. I am worried that being "before" (line side) the bonding jumper instead "after" (load side) of the bonding jumper that it wouldn't be reading the neutral at all. I apologize again and thank you for your patience. I may be over thinking this.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It sounds like you have an electronic trip breaker with internal Ground Fault functions, which you are bottom/back-feeding.
You want information on the proper mounting position for the add-on neutral sensor.

Are they showing the neutral sensor as being 'back feed' also, or is it mounted upside down?

I am pretty sure, the neutral sensor needs to be on the load side of the neutral - ground bonding jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.