drawer plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

Does anyone have pictures of how they did a residential bathroom drawer plug? The ones ladies like to use for their curling irons for some reason

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Last one I did was a receptacle under the sink and the client pluggged in small power strip that was attached to the side wall of the drawer cavity.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
Bad idea. I'm a retired fire captain and have been on two massive house fires where a downstairs bathroom had outlets in the drawer. On one, the homeowners daughter put the curling iron into the drawer with it on and closed the drawer. The other was a house guest who did the same thing.
Not saying it was the drawer outlet that caused the fires but by having the outlet in the drawer, the user doesn't have to unplug it to put it away.
Both cases the homeowner commented that it was a dumb idea.
Just my $.02

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bad idea. I'm a retired fire captain and have been on two massive house fires where a downstairs bathroom had outlets in the drawer. On one, the homeowners daughter put the curling iron into the drawer with it on and closed the drawer. The other was a house guest who did the same thing.
Not saying it was the drawer outlet that caused the fires but by having the outlet in the drawer, the user doesn't have to unplug it to put it away.
Just my $.02

This sounds more like a defective product than a problem with an outlet in a drawer.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Depending on the vanity, I would typically mount a GFCI protected receptacle on the inside face of the vanity near the drawer. They can just plug their appliance into that and leave in the drawer.

As far as being a fire hazard,when careless is involved there sure is an argument for that.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Whatever you install its best to use a closet door type low voltage relay rated for 20A to kill power to outlet if draw is closed.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Just my $.02

This one says it has a thermostat.

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Drawer-In-Drawer-Outlet-Thermostat/dp/B00MBPABRO

kwired

Electron manager
This sounds more like a defective product than a problem with an outlet in a drawer.
You have a heat producing item in a drawer, and drawers are often "catch -all" for who knows what that may be ignitable. There doesn't need to be a defect in the product to start a fire.

This is nothing more then a display of Darwin's theory. Today I can see the want for power in the drawer for chargers for cordless items, but to put a heating device in the drawer while still powered up is just plain stupid on the occupant's part.

I have never been asked to install such outlet, but would maybe only agree to a USB charging port in a drawer. You want to put 120 volts in the drawer, put it in yourself and not make me even partially responsible when you make a dumb move and try to burn your house down.

Ask them if they would light a candle, place it in the drawer and then close it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We have a cabinet that hangs over the toilet which is where a lot of, er, toiletries are stored, including my electric razor. The only way to keep it charged is to string the cord out of the cabinet and run it to the wall receptacle between the toilet and sink. Unsightly. I've considered cutting a duplex into the wall behind the cabinet to neaten things up but haven't mustered the ambition yet.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
would maybe only agree to a USB charging port in a drawer.

With the frequency that phones and other lithium ion battery devices are catching fire, I'm not even sure that's a good idea. I no longer leave items charging all over the house. I keep them where I can see them.

gadfly56

Occupation
With the frequency that phones and other lithium ion battery devices are catching fire, I'm not even sure that's a good idea. I no longer leave items charging all over the house. I keep them where I can see them.

Now you're making me nervous...

cpinetree

Just my $.02

We have one of these in the shop now to install soon. Purchased through Graybar.
I don't think I would want to install anything without a thermostat of some kind to kill power if the temperature got to hot.

Link to dockingdrawer website: http://www.dockingdrawer.com/

Link to pdf (page 2) stating thermostat cut off at 120 degrees: http://go.dockingdrawer.com/hubfs/Literature/DD_4Page_Brochure_021417_RS.pdf?hsCtaTracking=ff7ee1fd-1689-4490-a4c6-7a395fbaba2d%7Cfaf8630b-0985-4721-bf97-90674b7b3744

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have one of these in the shop now to install soon. Purchased through Graybar.
I don't think I would want to install anything without a thermostat of some kind to kill power if the temperature got to hot.

Link to dockingdrawer website: http://www.dockingdrawer.com/

Link to pdf (page 2) stating thermostat cut off at 120 degrees: http://go.dockingdrawer.com/hubfs/L...5fbaba2d|faf8630b-0985-4721-bf97-90674b7b3744

By the time the fire starts at the front of drawer and the temperature spreads to the back of the drawer where the thermostat is, it's too late to turn off the power.

jstjohnz

I know I have seen a purpose-built receptacle for in-drawer mounting. It had a built in circuit breaker, maybe 1A, so that it could only be used with low-current devices.

gadfly56

Occupation
Curling irons, that are a concern here, would hold on a 1 amp breaker.

My wife doesn't own one, so I'm not terribly familiar with them, but looking on line it seems they have a much lower draw than hair dryers. I can believe you'd be good with that.

kwired

Electron manager
My wife doesn't own one, so I'm not terribly familiar with them, but looking on line it seems they have a much lower draw than hair dryers. I can believe you'd be good with that.
Haven't looked at one in a while, but seems around 30-40 watts is pretty typical.

That don't sound like a lot, but watt density of a heating element is what determines how hot it gets. Some soldering irons are only 7 watt, but it is primarily focused on a small point and still gets really hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.