Limiter lugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Hello,

I was looking at poco design manual and they have requirements for the clearances for cable terminations...And they mention clearance is some inches with limiter lugs and without limiter lugs..What are limiter lugs?And what is the purpose of using them?

Thanks,
shortcircuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Saw this on my job, the phase conductors have limiters which makes them larger, the neutrals do not.

IMG_20170601_123859.jpg

shortcircuit1

Saw this on my job, the phase conductors have limiters which makes them larger, the neutrals do not.

View attachment 17988

I have read in bussman article that benefit of having limiters it to reduce the thermal damage to the cables in case of the short circuit..I thought cable limiters are just like fuses..But in your picture i dont see that..Am i interpreting the definition right?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think they are basically fuses built into a lug.

ETA: I have seen a couple different styles. One looks sort of like a like a regular fuse and bolts in place. Not something I work with.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It looks like the main use would be for parallel cable sets where the single OCPD for the set does not protect the individual cables and you don't want to put in full normal OCPD per cable?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think they are basically fuses built into a lug.

ETA: I have seen a couple different styles. One looks sort of like a like a regular fuse and bolts in place. Not something I work with.

They are. The portion under the insulator in my photo has a very narrow section in the metal about 1/4" wide. My guess is that melts at a relatively low amount of current from a short circuit or ground fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.