Dryer connections and sub pannel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 30 Amp Dryer connected to a subpannel. The Dryer receptical has 10 guage wire. It has a black wire, a white wire taped red and a bare ground wire. This iis for a 3-prong plug. Is this considered and an ungrounded receptical and should not be wired to a subpannel, but only the main. Is that correct? As the bare wire comes into the subpannel it is connected to the ground bar and not the neutral bar. Is that correct or should it be on the neutral bar? Seems to me that this configuration has created a parallel ground as the bare wire is acting as the grounded conductor (neutral) and not a grounding conductor. Is that correct? I am confident that under current code, if the dyer was being installed new, would be to run 10-3 with ground to a 4 wire receptical; and then, in the subpannel, keep the neutral and ground separated. I dont think configuration should be left as is as it is not only up to code but should never have been run this way to begin with?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The hook up you described is not compliant and never was for a dryer. It needs to be rewired to a 4 wire circuit and the cord on the dryer will need to be replaced also.

Dennis,

Thanks for the response. I will update it. I am curious to understand how the Dryer has been working. Is the bare ground functioning as the neutral (grounded conductor) or is it function as the ground? In any case, it seems clear that it should never have been installed in a subpannel in this fashion. If this was left as it is, what is the risk? I think their is a potential that the dryer body could become energized if ever any ground in the house becomes energized because the dryer body is grounded with the grounded conductor as the Dryer (ie, on a 3-plug dryer the neutral and ground are shared.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The bare is indeed acting as a neutral, and when part of NM cable this was never allowed. If the cable was SEU then it would be compliant from the cable end to the receptacle (only time code allows a bare noodle for this application), however because of the bare neutral SEU can not originate out of a subpanel (only a main panel with N and G bonded) when feeding a 3 wire dryer or stove. About the only complaint solution is running new 4 wire cable and upgrading the receptacle.

JFletcher

The hook up you described is not compliant and never was for a dryer. It needs to be rewired to a 4 wire circuit and the cord on the dryer will need to be replaced also.

and if there is a bonding strap in the dryer, it should be disconnected when the dryer has a 4 wire cord.

3 wire dryer connections were legal only if the wire originated in the main panel. and I dont think 3 wire NM was ever allowed, only SE cable.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
and if there is a bonding strap in the dryer, it should be disconnected when the dryer has a 4 wire cord.

3 wire dryer connections were legal only if the wire originated in the main panel. and I dont think 3 wire NM was ever allowed, only SE cable.

If the neutral was insulated it could originate from a sub-panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.