Industrial panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennneth1

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping someone out there could help me with this. I'm in need of a company in the Los Angeles area that can assemble and certify a "Listed Industrial Control panel". This panel will be outdoors on a rooftop in Los Angeles. It is a restaurant and this panel will be used for the fire suppression system. This will be in place of a standard contactor cabinet. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse. I was always with big outfits that did all this kind of thing for us "field electricians."( Which I'm very proud to be)
Thanks in advance.
Ken.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping someone out there could help me with this. I'm in need of a company in the Los Angeles area that can assemble and certify a "Listed Industrial Control panel". This panel will be outdoors on a rooftop in Los Angeles. It is a restaurant and this panel will be used for the fire suppression system. This will be in place of a standard contactor cabinet. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse. I was always with big outfits that did all this kind of thing for us "field electricians."( Which I'm very proud to be)
Thanks in advance.
Ken.

welcome to LA. will that be cash or charge?

you can either hire someone to build the panel,
or build it yourself, and have a service issue a
field listing for you, on site.

google is your friend here. i have no firsthand
experience with subbing out control panels to
a listed shop for fabrication.

couple years back, i had to field list some conveyors
made in canada, eh.

it was over $10,000 for an engineer for the day.

i'd go find a shop.

http://eslpwr.com/control-panels/

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Hello everyone,
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Since you are the person who's gonna install it (assuming you are certified) you can build the control panel yourself. You would know what you need to have in it. . .fuses, main disconnect, mag starters etc.
You can have some drawings along with a load schedule (very important) drawn and look in the yellow pages for CA registered Professional Engineer Electrical to sign it off with his seal and number.
Specify the location if there are any hazardous environment.

The EE will usually specify the appropriate type and NEMA class if you give him all info necessary.
I used to do roof top A/C with controls alongside the units in the LA area.

kennneth1

Thanks,myspark. I am certified. I'm learning there are a lot more un-certified than certified "journeymen" out there.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Since you are the person who's gonna install it (assuming you are certified) you can build the control panel yourself. You would know what you need to have in it. . .fuses, main disconnect, mag starters etc.
You can have some drawings along with a load schedule (very important) drawn and look in the yellow pages for CA registered Professional Engineer Electrical to sign it off with his seal and number.
Specify the location if there are any hazardous environment.

The EE will usually specify the appropriate type and NEMA class if you give him all info necessary.
I used to do roof top A/C with controls alongside the units in the LA area.
If you got away with that, you were dodging bullets.
http://doingbusiness.lacounty.gov/P-3500.pdf

In addition, the California Electrical Code amends the NEC to require an NRTL listing of assemblies with 3 or more electrical devices in it. A registered PE is not on the list of approved NRTLs, Calif. uses the list provided and maintained by OSHA. LA's list is even shorter...

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
OP is enquiring about City of LA. The city has its own set of rules outside the LA county that you mentioned.
The panel that OP is trying to install would have to use UL listed components which of course will have to be purchased from a reputable wholesaler.

Will need a permit and inspected before applying power for normal use.

Any wholesaler who deals with contractors have to have items passed UL and approved for use in the City of LA..

OSHA requirements mostly pertain to how equipment are arranged, maintained, proper working clearances and the people who are responsible for maintaining the equipment. . . to mention a few.

I suggest that OP contact the LA Building and Safety if there is any doubt. A forum like this (obviously) will not satisfy you.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks,myspark. I am certified. I'm learning there are a lot more un-certified than certified "journeymen" out there.

well... yeah....

your inspector is gonna want either a UL listing on the panel,
or a recognized certification service signing off on it.

Intertek did my certification for my conveyors. they were
an approved vendor in long beach. suspect they are certfied in LA,
as well.

a site visit three years ago was actually under $10k. all in, it was $8,750.

http://www.intertek.com/

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello everyone,
Thanks in advance.
Ken.

I would be careful and find out just what UL listing the AHJ requires.

UL508a is used for general purpose industrial control panels. However, UL508a also says this, which suggests it might need to be listed to UL 864.

1.11 Assemblies of electrical control units or equipment containing electrical control units for
fire-protective signaling systems are covered by the Standard for Control Units and Accessories for Fire
Alarm Systems, UL 864.

Status
Not open for further replies.