First time as a superintendent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph mulherin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
This will be the first job that I will be over the entire job. Its not a really large job, the electrical probably will be, 250,000.I want to do well on this project for obvious reasons, I would like some advice on everything, what to concentrate on first, any help would be appreciated

Sent from my LGLS450 using Tapatalk

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Treat your crew with respect. I've had supers that were screamers and yellers and nothing got done, except a lot of screaming and yelling.

Since you don't say what the project is, it's hard to tell you what to worry about first, if you have underground then it would be that. Also, don't be jumping all over the job, I see this from time to time and it makes it very hard to tell if everything that needs to get done, got done. Find a corner or a side of the building and work in one direction till you get to the other side.

luckylerado

Treat your crew with respect. I've had supers that were screamers and yellers and nothing got done, except a lot of screaming and yelling.

I agree with this fully but also you cant be their friend. By that I do not mean that you cannot be friendly but the hardest part for me when I started moving up was drawing that line with the people that I worked shoulder to shoulder with in the past. Maintain a timely supply of information and materials and QC the work as it is being installed. Be the first guy there and the last guy to leave and know what everyone is working on at all times and have the next task ready to go when the last one is complete. When I ran work in the field a lot of my time was spent staging material for the next task as close to the work as possible. Nothing drives me more crazy then watching someone walk across the jobsite to grab a handfull of materials 15 times a day. Try to eliminate the unrecoverable lost time such as wandering around for parts or standing around for parts or only being able to complete part of a task due to lack of material. Rework is a profit killer.

I would have everyone meet at the gangbox in the morning and again in the evening and ask everyone what they needed and tell them what they were going to be doing the next day.

I loved running work.

jeremysterling

Ditto the above replies. I like to keep a journal in a spiral notebook. I like to keep organized and logistically efficient by carefully selecting (or compromising to get) my laydown area. I remind the men to be safe and wear their PPE.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Use the chain of command. You speak with the foremen. Let the foremen speak to the men. If you speak to the men directly you are going to ruffle feathers. Make sure the foremen have sufficient authority to do their jobs without having to run to you constantly. Make sure you are available if they have questions.

JFletcher

Work from your guys strengths. Pair up people that work well together, or more experienced with less experienced. Spot check your men's work. Be frank with them: if they are doing good, let them know, and the same with deficiencies. If you need to correct someone, pull them aside and do it. Don't lose your cool - mistakes will happen. Try to stay on top of everything to minimize those problems, but dont micromanage. Dont have a master electrician running to get materials. Dont play favorites. Be clear about your expectations. Listen to your guys if they bring a problem to you. Everyone comes to work in one piece, make sure they leave that way (in a word: safety). It's horrifically hot here right now, if it is where you are, make sure everyone takes breaks for water and a bit of shade/rest every hour - productivity goes in the toilet if someone falls out from heat cramps or what not. Get your layouts correct the first time - there always seems to be time to do something over again. If there are questions, get RFIs before proceeding on a hunch or 'what we've always done before' standpoint.

The smoothest commercial project I was ever on doing v/d/v was one where the super didnt know squat about our work or timetables, and just listened to us. The worst was a know-it-all who didnt care about us one bit (since we worked for the owner, not him) and was a royal a-hole. He was so far behind he had all his guys working 7 12s to open on time. Which brings me to this: if you feel like you're behind or in over your head, ask for help. Screaming louder doesnt motivate anyone or make them work faster.

Hope this helps some, and good luck. that you're asking for advice up front tells me you'll probably do fine. :cool:

mpoulton

From a former GC superintendent and project engineer's perspective: Communicate with your GC and the other trades. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Do not make assumptions about what the other subs are doing, or about things that are vague on the plans or cannot be built as drawn. Do not let others make assumptions about what you're doing either - just tell them all how you're going to handle the job (sequence, materials, methods, and schedule) and keep everyone updated as the project moves along. If the plans don't work as drawn, come up with your preferred solution to the problem and run it up the chain of command for approval. Don't just do it your way without communicating first, and don't just complain about problems without proposing solutions. You're in project management now; solutions are your job. Remember that as the superintendent for a major sub, the GC is expecting you to be a big-picture person who coordinates the integration of your trade's scope with the rest of the subs on the jobsite - smoothly, efficiently, and without drama.

randyo

two big Dittos'

two big Dittos'

Yes, communicate and NEVER complain..
upstream, give suggestions and proposals, less as a request and more like an option, "I can do it this way or that".. never more than two (if appropriate)
down stream, quote code and drawings, never "I would have done it that way"

I spent one month with the plans on my latest build. Know everything.. or more importantly know where to find everything.
The only thing I would harp on is the "AS-Built" documentation.

I also found that worrying about my time line was far less important that the entire projects time line and where I fit in.

good luck.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don't listen to advice from people telling you to be nice to the workers. use the biggest stick you can find.

if they don't do well with the level of beating you are providing, double down and give them some more.

if they don't like it you can always go down to the rescue mission and get replacements.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.