electric sign license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No.

Sign Specialty Electrical Contractor. The scope of certification includes the structural fabrication including concrete foundation, erection, installation, alteration, repair, service and wiring of electrical signs and outline lighting. The scope of certification shall not include the provision of, or any electrical work beyond, the last disconnect mean or terminal points. However, a contractor certified under this section may provide the electrical entrance requirements for metering and main disconnect of remote billboards or signs which are independent of any structure or building and which require no more than twenty-five (25) kilowatts at two hundred fifty (250) volts maximum.

You would have to have the Lighting Maintenance Specialty licence below or an unlimited licence to change light fixtures.

Lighting Maintenance Specialty Electrical Contractor. The scope of certification of a lighting maintenance specialty contractor is limited to the installation, repair, alteration, or replacement of lighting fixtures in or on buildings, signs, billboards, roadways, streets, parking lots and other similar structures. However, the scope of the certification does not include the provision of, or work beyond, the last electrical supplying source, outlet, or disconnecting means.

Florida Administrative Code section 61G6-7.001
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?title=SPECIALTY ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS&ID=61G6-7.001

Last edited:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is outline lighting? It may apply!

Outline lighting is an arrangement of incandescent lamps or electric-discharge lighting or other electrically powered light sources to outline or call attention to certain features, such as the shape of a building or the decoration of a window [Art. 100].
[h=3][/h]

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Where are you located? There's a sign company in Tallahassee that I've seen changing out site lighting heads to LED. Just curious if you've seen the same outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where are you located? There's a sign company in Tallahassee that I've seen changing out site lighting heads to LED. Just curious if you've seen the same outfit.

They would be legal if they are dual licenced (lighting and sign) or have an unlimited licence.

kwired

Electron manager
Outline lighting is an arrangement of incandescent lamps or electric-discharge lighting or other electrically powered light sources to outline or call attention to certain features, such as the shape of a building or the decoration of a window [Art. 100].
And that crosses into gray area unless what is being installed is a listed sign. Sign installers generally can only do wiring/maintenance within the sign, and can not run the circuit conductors that supply the sign. Outline lighting is more premises type wiring unless it is actually a listed sign, but they still can't run the supply circuit to it.

Outdoor lighting - I imagine it also varies from AHJ to AHJ, but would guess many don't need to be licensed to do "maintenance" such as changing a ballast with same type of ballast but do need to be licensed to do installations - which very well includes upgrading from HID to LED.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
They would be legal if they are dual licenced (lighting and sign) or have an unlimited licence.

True, but I only saw their sign cont license number on the truck.

Does Florida issue separate numbers for specialty licenses if you have both sign and lighting maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
True, but I only saw their sign cont license number on the truck.

Does Florida issue separate numbers for specialty licenses if you have both sign and lighting maintenance?

I'm not absolutely sure an individual can have both licences, but I haven't heard of a prohibition against it. Assuming it's allowed, I'm fairly certain the person would be issued two different licence numbers.

The company could also have two or more qualifiers with different speciality licences.

In all cases, I believe, you would see multiple licence numbers on the truck.

kwired

Electron manager
I could see a sign contractor license including the need to know about more then just wiring of signs, but also would limit wiring tasks to those directly related to signs. Possibly not even allowing them to run the branch circuit to the sign.

I could see it possible to hold an electrical contacting license as well as holding a sign contracting license - then you are unlimited on what you are licensed for wiring wise.

Lighting maintenance licence isn't something you find around here, but I suppose there may be places that have such a thing.

Fire alarm installer is about the only special electrical license we have anymore around here. Otherwise you are either a contractor or a journeyman. They did bring back what is essentially residential only versions with limitations on what type of projects you can work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.